Chapter 22 ~ Getting Down to Business

Cadence

"Yaz don't do this! Please I'm begging you don't hurt her!" Evan said with tears running down his face as he tried to reach for me.

"Evan you had your chance. Tell her goodbye," Yaz said looking between him and me.

Evan looked at me with tear stained cheeks. "Til death do us part I will always love you," he said as I heard the first shot fired. I jumped as I saw Evan grab his stomach and blood flowed from his hand. I looked up to see Marquis with a smoking gun.

I yelled at the top of my lungs as I heard another shot. I heard a whistle as I felt something pierce me below and pain spread through my midsection. My breathing became ragged as everything around me began to spin.

"Die bitch die," I heard Yaz laughing and raising her hand in the air with her smoking gun.

"That's right, you, Evan and those bastard ass babies will die. Goodnight stupid hoe!"

I heard sirens in the background as darkness overtook me.

I woke up in a panic, my chest was heaving, and sweat covered my body causing my gown to stick to my skin. Darkness was all around me and I grabbed the sheets as my body trembled not knowing if this was real or not. I grabbed my stomach in fear and I couldn't help the tears falling from my face.

"You okay," I heard Jacob raising up pulling me in his embrace. I put my head on his shoulder as I tried crying away the nightmare I lived so long ago.

"It's okay. I'm right here," he said stroking my hair. It pained my heart that even after three years, Yaz still haunted my dreams.

"Why won't these dreams go away?"

"I don't know."

"I keep having the same dream every night of the shooting. This is just too much."

He rubbed my back and kissed me on the forehead. "I think it's because you really want to talk to him and you haven't; who knows but maybe you may need to go see Dr. Sims."

"Maybe you're right. I can't keep going like this. I'm exhausted and waking up to these dreams makes me a nervous wreck."

"Hey why don't you lay down and I will make you some warm tea."

"Sounds good, thanks." I gave him a kiss and he strolled into the kitchen.

I grabbed the remote and turned on the television. Looking at the nightstand my phone was lying on top. Reaching over I pushed it closer to me and dialed.

"Hello?"

"Hey there," Ben said sounding half asleep.

"Are the twins sleep?"

"Yes. Lilly and I took them horseback riding and we had a picnic. They wanted to stay until Monday if that's okay with you?"

"That's fine."

"Good we were going to the Children's Museum and Lilly wanted to take them to some event. They told me they saw Kara last weekend and were excited."

"She and Dorothy stopped by and they took them out for a few hours because they were leaving later on that night. Since Kara's modeling, she and Dorothy don't get to see them very much."

"What's wrong Cad? Are you having those dreams again?"

"Why would you say that?"

"You sound exhausted."

"Yes if you must know."

"The girls are fine. Evan is still alive as he called the girls earlier. I think he's in New York."