Chapter THIRTY-NINE

Start from the beginning

"Now, Ms. Evans, I'll start by showing you this," Patricia said, turning her laptop screen towards Kayla before pressing play. The footage was from the bar the night Kayla and I talked. The security camera was angled towards the bar counter, which meant it had a clear view of Kayla's face and the back of my head. The scene was sped up by Patricia, slowing down only when I got up and headed to the bathroom, making my way through a sea of people on the dance floor.

"You see right there, Ms. Evans?" Patricia pointed towards the drink I left on the counter and the powder Kayla had dropped into it as she nervously looked around to make sure nobody would see her doing so. "This footage alone can guarantee you a cell in prison." The video then showed how a man came over just as I had began to clutch at the bar counter because I was feeling dizzy.

"I'm assuming the man who helped you with this was your boyfriend? I believe his name is Mr. Landon O'James, am I right?" Patricia asked, already knowing the answer. She didn't wait for Kayla to reply, playing the next evidence we collected which was from the security camera in front of the condo. Landon and Kayla pulled up in front of the entrance, and the camera got a shot of Landon opening the backseat and basically dragging me out while I was already passed out. The two of them had kept a grip on my waist, struggling to hold me up.

Patricia paused the footage, letting out a sigh. "If I may be frank, Ms. Evans, I can't seem to comprehend how you would have thought that you would able to pull off this little stunt of yours."

"She was hoping to manipulate me," I spoke up, watching Kayla turn back to face me. The way she had paled in fear truly was the cherry on top and made the past hellish days absolutely worth it. "She was trying to make me believe that Luke would break up with me if I tried explaining what really happened."

"That was really fucking dumb of you to assume," Luke piped up. He walked closer to where Ashton and Michael were stood, staring down at Kayla. I could tell the three of them, including Patricia, were enjoying the way Kayla squirmed in her seat. Luke continued, "What's even dumber is that you'd think Calum wouldn't think things through or try to prove you wrong."

"Breathe, Kayla. As much as you deserve it, you won't be going to jail," Ashton said. Kayla did seem relieved at that, and Michael rolled his eyes in complete annoyance. Ashton gestured towards me, obviously not happy about it either. "Calum didn't want to press charges. Guess your luck isn't over yet."

Kayla seemed conflicted about what to do next. Patricia extended a hand out. "We can do this calmly. You let me delete all images and videos you took that night you drugged Calum and broke into his home, or, we can do this the hard way. You keep your phone, but we'll be presenting the security camera footage we've collected to the police and they'll decide how much jail time you and your boyfriend will get."

"No, that-that won't be necessary. I'll let you delete everything." Kayla started rummaging through her purse, hands trembling ever so slightly. Once she found it, she placed her phone in Patricia's hand. "Just take the phone, do whatever you want with it. I can't go back to jail."

Back to jail?

Everybody looked surprised at that, all except for Patricia. "Good choice, Ms. Evans." Or manager stood up, circling the table and placing a hand on Kayla's shoulder. "Let me escort you out."

Kayla wasted no time, standing up immediately. Her footsteps did, however, falter once she was a few feet away. "Calum, I'm sorry. I-I needed the money an-"