09. Another Step Forward

Start from the beginning

Taking a deep breath, Jeongguk silently shuts the door of his room quietly and finds himself slipping past the (surprisingly lax) night guards in pursuit of nowhere in particular.

The castle is beautiful. As big as it is and as small as all the walls and hallways make him feel, there's no denying of it's regal charm. He's heard some people back in the Moonrock marketplace say that the palace is so big, you could wander around for days in it and never cross the same hallways twice.

So far, Jeongguk hasn't dared to properly explore the castle grounds, afraid that he'll go too far and lose his way back to his room. That would be really embarrassing.

Jimin promised him a tour, but the older boy is always too preoccupied and busy to spare some time for that. Jeongguk doesn't really mind. He knows how busy Jimin can be, especially during such a period.

He dares himself to head towards the Southern wing. He's only passed by the area during horse ride practise patrol with the other knights, and he's genuinely curious as to what this part of the castle holds.

Surprisingly, he recognises a part of this castle. It's where he was dragged into, back when he "stole" from that baker. He shudders at the unpleasant memory of guards knocking him in the back of the head and cuffing his hands with metal.

Now that he's not bounded, he finally has the mental capacity to observe and admire his surroundings. He marvels at the intricacies of the architecture of the castle. It's grandness goes hand in hand with the embellishments that decorate it in earnest—the tapestries that hang along the walls, the rugs that run along the the bigger staircases off on the main hallways and the pretty expensive looking curtains that fall over the windows. To top it all off, flags bearing the face of a dragon that represents the royal family.

Jeongguk has never been one to dream about castles and princes and the riches of royalty, but now that he's seeing all of this with his own eyes, he comes to understand why other people are so enamoured in the romantics of it.

He walks down the carpeted floors, feeling colder the deeper he walks into the building. He crosses another hallway, but this time it's walls are aligned with painted portraits of different faces—most of which he doesn't recognise.

He does recognise one of them though. A face that makes him feel conflicted about whether or not he should respect or despise her. Maybe it's the fact that she's of royalty, Jeongguk doesn't think he's ever seen a face filled with as much grace, elegance and regality.

The woman standing beside her must be the queen, and he doesn't even have to guess that the man sitting in front of them is none other than King Han himself. He hasn't met the king yet, but it's not like he really looks forward to it anyway.

He makes his way out of the hall and reaches an exit leading towards a large courtyard. Still feeling restless, he looks around to see if there are any guards that could catch him. He hides himself behind a wall when two of the patrolling guards pass by, but luckily none of them are aware of his presence as they are too indulged in a hushed conversation of their own.

Jeongguk recalls the first time he came to the castle. It was certainly not through the front door, of course, but more like a secret passageway. He wonders if anyone found out the tunnel existed. Maybe the workers have plugged it up with something already.

Which reminds him of something.

He traces the path towards the West gardens, trying to find anything that looks familiar to his 10-year old memories. And then he finds it; it's surrounded by thick shrubbery almost invisible unless purposely sought out.

This is it. The place Jimin brought him to to find that flower. Jeongguk looks around one more to make sure no one is watching before  pushing the curtain of leaves apart.