Chapter 32 - Leyla

Detroit Safe House

Sunlight illuminated the messy handwriting in the journal Leyla was reading. She had gotten through a quarter of it—it took her a couple seconds to figure out each scrawled word. She squinted at the book in concentration.

"Want to switch?"

Leyla glanced up. The corners of Niko's lips twitched in amusement.

"I'm fine. This guy's handwriting is the worst I've ever seen. Messy and in cursive," she huffed. "I'll figure it out."

After more disgruntled sighing on her end, Niko said, "Okay, I think maybe it's time for a break."

Leyla let the journal fall down on the table and collapsed back in her chair. "My eyes hurt." She groaned. "And all this guy seems to be talking about is how scared shitless he is of demons."

"Want to get some food?" Niko suggested.

"Sure."

They left the books on the table and headed for the tunnels. Leyla was slowly getting used to them. They still spooked her, and she never walked through them alone.

Once they emerged from underground, sounds of overlapping voices and rising tones, like a cloud of birds screaming at the same time flooded from the cafeteria.

"Jeez. Is it just me or is it louder than usual?" she asked once they arrived inside.

A frown marred Niko's features. "No, it is," he mumbled.

As they drew nearer to the crowd of people in line and sitting at tables, Ley caught snippets of conversation.

"...more than ever."

"I heard a whole team was killed..."

"...demons... thousands."

"...need to run... isn't safe anymore."

"It's because of her."

Puzzled, Leyla regarded Niko, who appeared very worried. "Niko, what's going on?"

"Come on, let's get some food first," he said.

They waited in line, listening to all the rumors floating around. That demons surrounded the safe house, that everyone here wasn't protected anymore. That a lot of people had died this morning. Leyla picked at her nails. By the time they had gotten their food and left the crowded cafeteria, her nails were reduced to stubs. Her thoughts were on Ash.

Leyla and Niko found an empty room. They could still hear the fervent conversations, nevertheless. The worry clutched her insides, and she could only nibble at her food.

"It doesn't sound good," she muttered. "Do you think Ash is okay?"

"I'm sure she is," Niko said. "She has a better chance than anyone else."

Leyla nodded, but still, nausea churned in her stomach. The worry wouldn't relinquish, no matter what she told herself.

"What is this she everyone keeps talking about? It's not Ash, right?" she whispered to Niko.

Niko put down his sandwich. "It's only a rumor, but..." he trailed off.

"But?"

"It's not."

"A rumor?"

Niko shook his head no. "The asylum holds a secret, one they don't want us knowing."