Chapter 24 - Ashlyn

Detroit Safe House

It was time.

Already, it was almost noon, and I was still in bed.

It wasn't from sleeping in, really. I had been awake the last couple of hours, my mind turning and tossing over last night. I just couldn't find it in my power to get up.

But it was already twenty minutes 'til. Begrudgingly, I placed both feet on the floor. Ley had slept in the other bed this time, her face planted into the pillow. Silently, I padded over to the door. I was wearing the clothes from yesterday, but that was no reason to change and show up late to my first day on the job. I tiptoed over to our bathroom. I brushed my teeth in the sink and tried to comb my hair with my fingers so it didn't look too wild. Then I quietly slipped out. I had about fifteen minutes to get to the conference room in the asylum building—and I had to navigate getting there on my own for the first time.

It took me a couple wrong turns—especially in the tunnels. I jumped at every flickering shadow, but finally, I made it and barged into the conference room. Everyone inside turned and stared. They were all seated, Zamara at the head of the long table.

"Sorry I'm late. First time trying to get here on my own..." I quickly took a seat at the end next to Des. I could feel my face reddening while they stared.

"I feared you wouldn't show." Zamara's clipped voice rang harshly in my ears.

"No, I'm serious about this."

"Good," Zamara said. "All of you except for Ashlyn know the drill. I expect you'll watch her and guide her along the way." There were nods and a couple grunts from the guys. Zamara's eyes flicked to Des. "From our conversation earlier, I assume you won't have much trouble."

Des dipped his head in response.

"I believe it's always best to learn on the field rather than to be lectured at. So you may head out. Mara—can you fill Ashlyn in?" Zamara asked. Mara nodded, although she didn't look too happy about it.

Zamara left the room. Everyone got up. They all wore black—black pants, padded jackets, gloves. Good thing I still wore the black jeans from yesterday. Mara came up and tossed me one of the jackets. I shrugged off my green one, laying it on the back of the chair, and zipped the black one on. It felt heavier than a normal one. She pitched me a pair of gloves and then a helmet. It was like a biker helmet—sleek, with a dark visor.

The rest geared up as well. I practiced their names in my head—Mara, Tia, Vince... Kole? And then Cavin? Corin? Shoot, I don't remember his name.

By then everyone was already departing the room. They were stoic, as if prepared for battle, which I guess was the case.

"Stay by my side, newbie," Mara whispered. She was much taller than me, and her braid trailed out of the back of her helmet. She wouldn't be too hard to lose track of.

I thought there'd be some secret side exit we'd use, but to my surprise, we left the building from the front double doors. Sunlight pierced through my visor. I gasped. There were barely any clouds in the sky. The sun warmed my body, and I desired to forget everything and lie in the grass, drinking in the heat.

But I had a mission: eradicate as many demons as possible.

"All right, newbies, we're safe for now. The boundary is a couple yards away. That's where we'll meet them."