Chapter 9 - Ashlyn

Deliverance Safe House

The first week rushed by too soon. Joel proclaimed the ceremony was only a week away, and everyone ate it up. He hadn't called me up to the stage that time, but I knew he would soon.

The storms had struck hard again. Rain pelted the building furiously, as if demanding entry. In the kitchens, we were told to ration the food out even more than we already did.

It was as if everything was leading up to the date. The world was dying and people scrambled for some kind of comfort.

It was noon, and I had ended my shift in the kitchens. Before withdrawing, I glanced back. The girl cook who had taken over for me looked to be a couple years younger, maybe fifteen. She went right to work—didn't stand around or talk to anyone. Even so, one of the managers was already exhaling down her neck. There were only one other girl and boy in the kitchen. They abided by their spot, their eyes downcast as the manager sniffed around.

I turned. There was nothing I could do. There was nothing anyone could do. Joel's dominance stretched through the building like electricity.

I had tried to escape. Once. I knew I could survive out there, in the world that was infested with monsters called demons. I couldn't be repossessed. The demon was trapped inside me. It was a shield from other demonic possessions.

My chances of escaping were over, though. I had found that out the last time I'd tried. An impossibly tall electrical fence stood between me and freedom. Men had surrounded me instantly, and I was dragged back inside. That was when I knew they were always watching.

I shook my head to clear it and walked away from the kitchen. I still peeked behind me at the workers, wishing I could do something for them. Wishing all of this wouldn't end in death.

Before I could turn my head to watch where I was going, I collided into a body.

A sudden shock of dread overtook me. I tensed, waiting to be yelled at. Hoping I hadn't just walked into a manager—or worse, Joel.

But when I looked up, a different surge of shock fizzled through my body.

He had his hands out, as if ready to catch me if I fell. Recognition flashed in his eyes.

"Oh, hey, it's you," he blurted.

"Yeah, me," I said. It was the guy from the sanctuary, the one who I had talked to. Jace, I think he had told me was his name. I hadn't seen him since. Should I keep walking? Or should I say something?

He beat me to it. "I've actually been looking for you."

"For me?" My lungs constricted, and I took a step back. It couldn't be anything good.

"Yeah." His eyes darted around the hall. "But we should probably talk somewhere else."

I was already backing away... Yes, he interested me, but I had no idea who he was. And the last time I had seen him, I had accidentally blurted out something that I probably shouldn't have.

"Wait." He held his hands up, palms facing me. "It's ok—I'm on your side. I don't work for that bastard."

I almost turned away. Yet the word bastard held me still. None of his followers would have uttered Joel's name in profanity. Unless this was some advanced-level spy of his... but my curiosity was already piqued. He appeared young, around my age—eighteen—maybe older. Another reason to believe he wasn't devoted. He was young.