Tim too had a smile dancing on his face but he said nothing as she remarked, "oh come on, I haven't scared anyone. And right now, you're the one who's making him more uncomfortable. Right, Mathias?"

Mathias smiled, "not at all. Connor and I have become good friends."

"That's great. I'll leave you three to enjoy yourselves now," she smiled at them as she left in order to join the girls at the other side.

Irina knew that Mathias was feeling slightly uncomfortable around them all like that. For starters, he only knew Tim well as he was his friend. Of course he was familiar with Irina too but not in the informal friendly way since she was his boss.

The only consolation was that Connor had immediately taken a liking to the boy so he felt slightly better as compared to earlier in both Tim and Con's company.

"All packed up?" Richard came out as well and asked them.

"Yup," they replied in unison.

"Good, let's leave then. Pile yourselves into the cars too."

"Sure thing, Dickiebird," Jason remarked.

***

The beach picnic turned out to be a success. All of them had a great time together, Cassie took a lot of pictures and overall it turned out to be a very fun and relaxing event.

Night had fallen but no one was in the mood to leave. They had erected a small bonfire at the beach, Jon had brought out his guitar and all of them were sitting around the warmth of the bonfire. 

Tim and Irina had gone for a stroll at the beach while the others were singing aloud as Jon played famous tunes at his guitar, lightening up the atmosphere considerably.

It was rare for them to be so carefree and happy together and such rare moments were what kept them going through the bad times. After all, they were family and families stick together even if the times are not in their favor.

Irina's hand was held in Tim's as the two walked over the soft wet sand, feeling content in each other's company. They had reached that point in their relationship where words weren't always needed to express how they felt, their silence also spoke volumes and made them feel comfortable.

"Tim," she mumbled, head resting on his shoulder as they had sat down in the sand, Tim gently holding her close with his arms wrapped around her, "I wanted to tell you something."

"Go on sweetheart," he replied with a soft smile, gently kissing her cheek.

"You know ever since Dad died... I haven't been myself exactly," she spoke up, trying her best to make sense of her words but even to her it seemed as if she wasn't going to explain herself well, "and I am really really sorry because I know you get affected by it but... I just..."

Her voice trailed off but Tim leaned closer to her, blue gazing straight in her marble green eyes, "I understand. You went through a very big loss and you are burdened these days due to LCorp as well. You don't have to apologize for anything, Ren, I'm standing with you every step of the way."

There was a while of silence and she took his hand in her own, interlacing their fingers together, "I feel so blessed to have you with me, Tim. But there's something I want you to know. Something about me..."

He kept silent but motivated her to go on.

"I am not a Luthor," her voice was low but the words caught Tim by surprise, "I... I talked to Aunt Lena and she told me the truth. And the fact that I hurt you so much for the man who wasn't even my father..."

"Wait a second," he wiped away the tears streaming down her face, "I don't get it. If Lex Luthor wasn't your father then who exactly..."

"I don't know," her voice broke, "the truth is that Aunt Lena is my biological mother. She was kidnapped by some people who were after Dad and they... They... My whole life has been a lie, I was never a Luthor... I was just a child they couldn't get rid of because it got too late. And then Dad faced the scandals himself to protect Aunt Lena, he presented himself as my father even though he wasn't... And yet my entire life I kept believing the entire opposite..."

Tim held her close, hushing her as he whispered soothing words to her, "hey, please don't cry. It hurts me to see you like this."

"And I don't even know what you would think of me now... I know you'll say it's not my fault but..."

He cupped her face in between his palms tenderly, "Irina, sweetheart, look at me."

She brought her tearful green eyes to meet his blue irises nervously, not certain of what he had to say. Though deep down she knew Tim would understand and never leave her side, something in her heart kindled an odd sort of fear at the same time.

The fear of losing him.

"What happened was in the past," he tried to comfort her, carefully choosing his words, "I am not saying that it was something that should have happened, I know it must have been terrible on Aunt Lena but... We can't change the past, right?"

"But I am not who you thought I was and..."

"It doesn't matter," his fingers gently caressed her cheek, "I love you for who you are not for who everyone thinks you are. This doesn't change how I feel about you."

"Tim, I am so confused..." She admitted truthfully, her hands closing on to his wrists, "I know Aunt Lena told me the truth so that I could stop blaming myself for Dad's death and move on. But ever since she told me, I have been a wreck."

Tim understood then why Irina had always been so caught up in her work; she was purposefully keeping herself busy in order to somehow distract her from that feeling.

"I would never have told you but the fear of you finding it out from someone else kept me up at night. We promised not to hold any secrets between us. I can't risk breaking that promise twice," she added.

Tim dipped his head in a nod and leaned closer, capturing her lips with his own in a sweet comforting kiss. She seemed to appreciate the gesture as a soft relieved sigh escaped her, body easing in his embrace. 

"Irina, I am glad you trusted me enough to tell me," he pulled apart slightly such that their foreheads rested against each other, "and I want you to know that I am going to stay with you no matter what happens. You can't let this hold you down and you should never fear me leaving you. Because I can't do that."

"Oh Tim..." Her eyes welled up but he kissed her again, trying to ease her tension.

"You're my life, Ren, I can't even think of parting with you. No matter what happens."

***