[20]

T: I got fired. By Lex Luthor.

I: but why?

T: I'm a Wayne, he's a Luthor. That's why.

I: but you don't work under him. So he can't fire you.

T: yes I don't. He has asked me to give in my resignation to Irina Luthor as soon as possible. Or else I'll have to suffer consequences.

I: he can't just threaten you like that!

T: it's okay, Ren, you don't have to get so angry on Luthor. What he's doing is sensible in his opinion and what I'm doing is sensible in mine.

I: what are you doing then?

T: typing out the resignation.

***

Tim came back to his cubicle in rather deflated spirits and sat down on his chair as if exhausted. His fellow Mathias had noticed that but didn't say anything since it was quite common knowledge that if Lex Luthor summoned anyone in his office, it resulted badly for the poor person.

Taking out his phone, he wrote a text to Ren: I got fired. By Lex Luthor.

The ticks turned blue indicating that she had seen the text. Shortly afterwards, she replied: but why?

I'm a Wayne, he's a Luthor. That's why.

But you don't work under him. So he can't fire you.

He sighed wearily, leaning back in his seat: yes I don't. He has asked me to give in my resignation to Irina Luthor as soon as possible. Or else I'll have to suffer consequences.

He can't just threaten you like that!

Despite the dampened mood, a small smile flickered on his face: it's okay, Ren, you don't have to get so angry on Luthor. What he's doing is sensible in his opinion and what I'm doing is sensible in mine.

What are you doing then?

Typing out the resignation.

Tim had opened his computer and started to type out a resignation letter. Of course he knew that was bound to happen. What else could he expect by working in a rival company?

One way or other, he was bound to get fired.

Moments later, the door to Irina Luthor's office sprang open and she went out in a hurry. All eyes were on her but none of the workers said a word.

Tim knew exactly where she was going to. Lex Luthor's office.

The point was that Tim had known about Ren's secret identity since a really long time. He knew she was Irina Luthor but he hadn't let the truth slip from him because he didn't want her to mistrust him.

Or in his own words, he respected her secrecy and had decided to keep it a secret even from the rest of his family.

In fact he had gone as far as trying to convince the Bats, along with a little help from Red Hood, that the new vigilante wasn't a threat to them and they should just let her do whatever she was doing.

He had almost finished typing the resignation and sent it off for printing when Irina returned and without even a single glance in his direction, she went back to her office.

Since the resignation had been printed, he filed it in an envelope and stood up. Mathias was looking at him with questioning eyes but he chose not to reply.