Chapter 71: Even if you give a jade crown hat

Note: Full chapter title because it's too long ( Even if you give a jade crown hat to a pig, the pig will still be a pig)

With someone to help her write, the pressure that Ji Man felt decreased considerably. All girls liked poetry about flowers since they were young. The poem that she had the deepest impression about was a poem that her teacher had requested they recite many times. It was called Ode to the Plum Blossom.

Now that she was thinking about it, it would be quite appropriate for today. Ji Man lightly smiled, glanced at Wen Wan, and said, "Sangyu will give this poem to Wan-er."

Wen Wan had been confidently looked at Nie Sangyu. Surprised by these words, she slightly frowned. Giving her a poem?

"Wind and rain escorted Spring's departure, flying snow welcomes Spring's return,
On the ice-clad rock rising high and sheer, a flower blooms sweet and fair,
Sweet and fair, she craves Spring not just for herself,
To be the harbinger of Spring, she is content,
When the mountain flowers are in full bloom, she will smile mingling in their midst."

(T/N: The full translation of Ode to the Plum Blossom can be found .)

After Ji Man finished reciting the poem, the heir had also finished writing the poem. Hearing that this poem would be given to Wen Wan, he had done a very good job writing it.

"This is called Ode to the Plum Blossom. Sangyu composed it to praised Wan-er, who doesn't try to vie for anything. Her devotion to selflessly contribute is impeccable." Ji Man followed these words with a cutting remark, "Wan-er has always been as lofty and unsullied as a plum blossom. Even if you give a jade crown hat to a pig, the pig will still be a pig

Wen Wan felt endlessly aggravated by her words. What did she mean by "doesn't try to vie for anything?" Wasn't Nie Sangyu just saying these words sarcastically? The most hateful part was that, other than the several women that had never liked her in the poetry association, no one could tell that Nie Sangyu was mocking her. Instead, they all thought that this poem was very well composed. Even Qiang Yingchen was smiling and nodding.

Originally, the various sons of nobility had planned on saying something to make life difficult for Nie Sangyu. But, hearing that this poem was meant to praise Wen Wan and it was also truly well-written, they dryly coughed and wanted to change the discussion.

One of the said, "Let's look at the poem that Wan-er had written."

Wen Wan blushed. She had already handed her poem to Qian Yingchen and it was already too late for her to take the poem back.

Qian Yingchen swept his gaze across the paper and read it aloud. "A bluish green pond outside of the city, it has an overlooked snow-like thing. The white lotus is thoughtful, it's not the same as other muddy things."

The tonal cadence was awkward and the poem didn't rhyme either.

Hearing that Wen Wan had written about a white lotus, Ji Man couldn't stop herself from turning around and holding onto Muxu for support as she guffawed.

Really, Wen Wan was too cute. She had actually written a poem praising the white lotus to indicate that she was different from them, the muddy things.

Several of the men were racking their brains trying to think of a way to help Wen Wan. Unfortunately, Ji Man had already disregarded appearance and let out her laughter. If they still wanted to pretend that the poem was good by saying a few words of praise, they couldn't do so.

With Wen Wan's poor display of skill, she naturally wouldn't be able to enter Tonghao Poetry Association. Ji Man also now understood what Ning Errong had meant by "poems that even a three-year-old could write".