Chapter 22: He loves her

Marquis Moyu returned to his senses after hearing old madame's angry voice. He pursed his lips, kneeled, and said, "This son greets mother."

"Do you still remember that you have a mother?" Old madame's anger wasn't light. She pointed at Wen Wan and asked, "Did you even ask me once before marrying her?"

Ning Yuxuan lowly said, "Mother, please calm down. This son had planned to report our marriage to you after you returned."

After saying this, he actually glanced at Ji Man.

Ji Man hurriedly hid away her glee and innocently looked at the decorative pattern on the carpet.

Marquis Moyu had been naturally talented and clever since childhood. Other than this marriage, he had never given his mother any reason to worry. Right now, there were rapid changes in the imperial household and the emperor deliberately wanted to oppress Nie Clan. Thus, she could understand why he had acted against Sangyu. But, even if she had calculated a thousand times, she would have never expected that he would welcome a woman without status into this household.

"You knew that I wouldn't agree, so you acted first and reported later." Old madame heavily harrumphed.

Ning Yuxuan raised his head. His eyes were full of sincerity. "This son truly loves Wen Wan. This is why I want to give her the best position."

Love.

Old madame stared blankly at him for a long time. Wen Wan, who was still kneeling, started to cry again.

Ji Man found his words laughable, but Nie Sangyu felt as if her heart was being ripped out. Ji Man couldn't help furrowing her brow.

Among the nobles, generals, and officials' families, the most unspeakable word was love and the most difficult thing to obtain was sincere love. Old madame had loved Marquis Pingnan for over half of her life, but she had never said this word. And now, she was hearing the word "love" from her son's mouth.

After she returned to her senses, old madame actually laughed. She laughed until her shoulders shook. "Xuan-er, do you know what love is?"

Ning Yuxuan kneeled with his back perfectly straight and didn't cower the slightest bit, "This son wants to grow old with her."

Wen Wan was extremely moved by his words. Underneath their sleeves, Marquis Moyu was gently holding her hand. She suddenly felt confident and kowtowed to old madame, "All of this blame is entirely Wen Wan's. As long as Wen Wan can stay by the marquis's side, whether it's being the main wife or concubine, Wen Wan doesn't mind either way."

Ah, such a profoundly loving, harmonious, and affection couple. Ji Man looked at them with the cool eyes of a bystander. She felt that the male lead and female lead's minds were completely different from everyone else's. For them, emotions could prevail over everything. The male lead's one word, "love", was supposed to make everything else inconsequential.

But, it couldn't work out like that. This was a light novel about harem struggles, not a Grimm's fairytale.

Old madame was silent for a long time. She finally said with a smile, "Look at the two of you. One is crying like a rained upon pear blossom. The other has a solemn expression and a stretched taut figure. If someone didn't know any better, they would think of me as a malicious old woman that was tearing up a happily married couple that truly loved each other."

Her tone had changed too quickly. Ning Yuxuan and Wen Wan both froze in surprise and looked up.

"I was just testing you. Wan-er, you also seem to truly love Xuan-er." Old madame's entire face softened and she indicated for Danggui and Shouwu to help the two of them to stand. In the passing, she also let Ji Man stand up as well.