Chapter 61: The culprit can't be found

Refusing to stop loving a person that didn't love you back was like a moth that was flying into fire. Even as it its wings were crumbling, it still struggled to fly closer to the center of the fire. How regretful and pitiful.

When Ji Man regained her consciousness, she felt as if Nie Sangyu's body had recently been burned by fire. Not only did she feel uncomfortable, it felt as if her body was burning up.

After a struggle to open her eyes, she saw Ning Errong's happy face looking at her.

"Sangyu, are you awake?"

The room seemed very dim. Errong was the only other person in the room.

Seeing Nie Sangyu opening and closing her mouth, Errong hurriedly brought over a cup of water and poured it down her throat without any gentleness.

Errong was also a person that had never taken care of someone else before. And so, she wasn't aware that she had moderate her strength. Ji Man ended up coughing for a long time to clear her throat. With her eyes half-opened and her head somewhat foggy, she asked, "Who saved me?"

Ning Errong looked at her with a solemn expression. "My older brother saved you. Sangyu, what happened last night? Why did you fall into the river? If it wasn't for my older brother, you would have definitely lost your life!"

Ji Man did her best to recollect last night's memories. She had gone outside for fresh air because she was having trouble falling asleep. Then, she had seen the crown prince on the other side. After that, she had been forced to jump into the river by those two shadowy figures.

The crown prince? Her body tensed. Ji Man suddenly remembered the lingering peaceful lute music played by the crown prince. Even though she had shouted, no one had woken up on either of the two boats. Last night had felt like a nightmare. Fortunately, she woke up and was still alive.

Who wanted to harm her? Ji Man couldn't figure it out. If it was the crown prince, wasn't he afraid that by allowing her to live, she would tell Marquis Moyu what he had done and cause hostility between them?

Someone lightly knocked on the door and she heard Jinse's voice from outside, "Madam, you weren't in your room. The marquis is looking for you."

Ji Man returned to her senses. Her entire body still felt weak and her forehead was slightly feverish. Her complexion probably looked deathly pale. She looked at Ning Errong. Ning Errong gave her a reassuring look, then she turned around and opened the door.

"Sangyu got sick. She came over here to sleep last night and ended up catching a cold." Ning Errong expressionlessly looked at Jinse, who was still standing outside. "Why is my cousin looking for her so early in the morning? Isn't it enough that you're serving him?"

Jinse felt somewhat embarrassed. She glanced inside the room, then left after bowing.

In a bad mood, Errong rolled her eyes, closed the doors, and returned to the bedside. As she stretched her hand out to pick up the bowl of medicine, she said, "It's strange. Everyone was deeply asleep last night. I called Baizi several times, but I couldn't wake her up, so my older brother personally prepared this medicine. Here, you should drink this. It'll help with your cold."

---

There were no traces left in the rooms. Everyone didn't wake up until noon, but no one felt there was anything strange about last night.

---

Shortly after, Marqus Moyu came to Ning Errong's room. Seeing Nie Sangyu's sickly face, he lightly said, "You should properly rest."

Ji Man looked at his eyes and asked, "My lord, did you hear anything strange last night?"

Ning Yuxuan quietly looked at her. His eyes were as deep as the river. "I didn't. I slept very well."