"Well what would you like to do for your birthday?"

"Nothing, maybe we can go to dinner?" I don't want to make a bug deal out of it.

"Dinner.. I don't know, that's a bit extravagant isn't it?" She teases.

I giggle and she kisses my forehead. We end up falling asleep on the couch and I wake up sweating in the middle of the night. I lift myself off of Max and peel the sweatshirt off before going over to turn the heat down. The small blue light blinking coming from Max's phone on the counter peaks my curiosity. I lift the phone up and swipe my finger across. Three new messages. Put the phone down Charli.

I have no reason to go through her phone, that's insane. I sit the phone back down and walk back towards the couch only to be stopped by the vibration of another text message arriving.

Just one, I will only glance at one. That's not so crazy right? I know it is insane to be looking through Max's messages but I can't seem to stop myself.

*Call me back dick.* The message reads. Jace's name covers the top of the small screen. Reading that text message was a terrible idea. It didn't get me anywhere at all and now I feel guilty for going through Max's phone like a crazy person. Why is Jace texting Max anyway?

"Charli?" Max's voice croaks causing me to jump and the phone slips out of my grasp. It falls to the floor and a cracking noise is heard.

"What was that? What are you doing?" She asks through the dark room, the only light being cast from the television.

"Your phone went off.. and I grabbed it." I half lie and scramble on the floor to pick up the phone. The screen now has a small crack along the side. "And I cracked the screen." I add.

"Just come back to bed." She groans and I sit the phone down and lay back on the couch with her.

The next morning I wake up to Max trying to move from under me. I shift against the back of the couch to let her get up and she grabs her phone off the counter before going to the bathroom. I hope she isn't too pissed about me breaking her phone, if I wouldn't have been so nosy this wouldn't have happened in the first place. I pull myself off the couch and make a pot of coffee. Max's proposal of going to England with her keeps running through my mind. We have already moved so quickly in our relationship by moving in together at such a young age. However, I would love to meet her mother and see England, especially with Harry.

"Deep in thought?" Max's voice interrupts me.

"No.. well sort of." I laugh.

"About?"

"Christmas."

"What about it? You can't figure out what to get me?" She laughs.

"I think I am going to call my mother and see if she would have even invited me for Christmas. I feel bad not at least seeing first you know. She will be alone." I tell her.

"I understand." she agrees.

"I'm sorry about your phone."

"It's fine."

"I read a text message from Jace." I blurt. I don't want to hide things from her. no matter how embarrassing the confessions are.

"You what?"

"It vibrated and I looked at it. Why was he texting so late anyway?"

"What did you read?" She asks ignoring my question.

"A text from Jace." I repeat.

"What did it say?" Her jaw clenches.

"Just to call him back.." Why is she getting so worked up? I knew she wouldn't exactly be happy that I looked at her text message but she is overreacting.