Day 21: Cooking/Baking

Pale stared at the shiny kitchen equipment, it emitting warmth and a small ticking of a timer as he laid his stained cheek against the cold marble counter. A subtle aroma of baked dough being cooked a second time as he kept his sight on his reflection on the toaster. It was the only thing his eyes were willing to keep themselves on before two pieces of toast sprang out from the two slots he put them in.

     He glanced out at the golden brown toast a small puff of steam rose from the toasted white bread, his fingers not hesitating to put his fingers into the gaping holes of the fiery pits of hell to retrieve the food. He held no regard for the poor nerves at his fingertips, which now stung with a lasting heat of the damned toaster with his expression never faltering as he set the golden prize onto a plate. He blankly stared at the two pieces of toast, still hot and crisp and slightly flaky at the crust. This wasn’t good enough.

     He went over to a transparent, glass, rectangular tray with its matching lid concealing what was so poorly hidden inside. A partly used block of softened butter. Pale unveiled the cover and grabbed a simple butterknife, predictably slicing a little of the creamy yellow butter and spreading it on the two pieces of toast. He watched the butter melt into the toast, leaving a small golden tint in the middle.

     Pale gazed down at the buttered toast, blankly staring at what could best be described as a snack. He wasn’t going to eat this though, he had no desire nor interest to.

     He picked up the small plate and placed it on the dining room table, sitting down close to it and waited ever so patiently.

···································

     The door swung open, two sneakers stepping into the house before being taken off at the rug nearby. Template hoisted his pen over his shoulder before he let out a relaxed gusty sigh after such a long day.

     “Pale! I’m back!~” Template greeted, walking through the house only to spot Pale slumped over the dining table. He laughed a bit to himself, teleporting away and back again with a blanket in his possession. He draped the thin yet warm wool around his boyfriend. The plate of toast was something that piqued his interest and struck to him as odd. It made him pleasantly surprised actually! He smiled, grateful and beaming.

     He took the plate of now cold buttered toast, he placed a kiss on his sleepy little skull.

     “Thank you, Pale,” he purred out, leaving the dining room and eating the food in his bedroom so Pale could sleep in peace.