24 | ON A LIGHT NOTE

ADYEN

     "Hey, don't ruin that, we just got it."

     I heard people playing catch out in the open parking lot of the abandoned apartment building. The ball they were using was one of the many items that had been gifted to Naylan's pack as hand me downs from Georgiou's. They had gotten everything from clothes to motorcycles, kitchenware, and tools.

     I remember Naylan being excited as he and a few other wolves he'd entrusted with organizational roles had sorted through the packages. I smiled and watched the group for a bit before heading into the building. The resource trading was just the start of the alliance, or at least that's what Naylan had said. He talked about his pack like he was building a civilization from scratch. Very boyish but endearing.

     When I got to Naylan's room I knocked on the door and listened for him to tell me to go in before wandering into the bedroom.

     Naylan was standing by the window in a loose t-shirt and a pair of blue shorts. I walked over to him, falling into the space he had created beside him by the window by scooting to the side a bit.

     "How are you?" he asked in a soft voice after a while of both of us staring out into the empty parking lots and leveled ground.

     "I'm doing alright," I muttered, holding on to the windowsill as I hummed to myself. "I'm done packing," I muttered, and Naylan nodded, not saying anything in reply.

     Exams were around the corner, and I was leaving for Nova Scotia right after my last exam to meet my mum. I had lived through the past few weeks not really thinking about it, but now with every passing day, I felt a greater mix of excitement and panic. My mum had helped to arrange the plane ticket herself, so I hadn't had to worry about costs.

     "You should have fun when you go see her," Naylan said, making me turn to look at him. He still had his gaze facing forward, but his brows had softened. "I haven't seen her in a while, so take lots of pictures, okay?"

     I smiled at my brother, nodding my head. "I will."

     "Do you need a ride to the airport when the time comes?" Naylan asked me.