14 | YES, WE'RE MATES

LEN

     Adyen ignored me for the next few days after I dodged his question. At first, I thought things might be okay and that he would blow off some steam before we meet on Campus on Monday.

     Monday came, and our morning classes had been quiet. He didn't bother me with questions like he usually did, but I attributed that to the fact that midterms were coming up.

     I had gone to see him at practice in the evening, but he only showed me where to sit and nothing else. I had learned that he was fast. He took first place in whatever sprint his coach put him in, and I was starting to wonder why he was pursuing an architecture degree instead of a kinesiology or sports science one.

     Heck, he could drop all the school things and attempt going pro.

     When I watched him, I could see the similarities with his run and the running of werewolves in human form. That was probably where his talent came from.

     I had tried to talk to him when his practice was over, but he pretended like he couldn't hear me and walked past me with his backpack hanging from the straps on his shoulder. That's how the week of ignoring me began. I wasn't sure what to do besides stare at him from the distance when he didn't pick my calls or answer my texts. My attention moved to other things, like my studies and due assignments.

     I had made a quick call to the packhouse, begging Georgiou to tell everyone to shut up. If Adyen was looking for answers by himself, I didn't want someone else to explain things to him before the time came. Although there were other wolves in school, and downtown I doubted that he would have the courage to walk up to complete strangers for help considering his vulnerability.

     Adyen didn't communicate with me until Saturday. He sent me a text, telling me that he was coming over for the pack meeting with me on Sunday. I had agreed, and he didn't talk to me again until we met at ten on Sunday morning at the bus stop.

     We stood in silence, staring out into the empty road on campus. Most people were still asleep, catching up on their dreams before Monday rolled around and mid-term tests started. The trees were still bare of leaves, but the snow had melted, leaving behind icy cold puddles and soggy sand.