2 | DOWNTOWN WOLVES

LEN

     A week passed, and Adyen never called me. I bumped into him in lectures, and since we've met each other he seemed to be as conscious of me as I was him. We had our core classes together, but he was often lost in a sea of students. I only ever got a proper look at him in our shared creative writing class of twenty-five students.

     He had sat close to me. Shocking, since I had assumed he had been avoiding me. He hadn't talked to me, but I had noticed how his eyes would flicker to me from time to time. It had been hard to keep my cool since my wolf kept stirring at his every move. I was sure my face had been red then. He must have wondered what the fuck was wrong with me.

     A sigh left my lips as I slouched in the restaurant seat. It was about eight in the evening on a Wednesday, and I was at a pizza joint downtown.  It was a bit far from where I lived and the pizza wasn't amazing, but that was alright. I wasn't here for it. I was here for the wolves that ran the place.

      He must think I'm fucking weird. My thoughts started to eat at me. I chewed on the nail on my thumb as I stressed about all my silly actions when I was close to Adyen. I remember being a mess in our creative writing class. The teacher had been going on about speculative fiction, but I couldn't remember anything she said because her voice had been drowned out by the sound my own blood pumping in my ears.

     Adyen just had that effect on me, and it drove me nuts.

     "What are you thinking so hard about?" I blinked, feeling someone squeeze my shoulder. Looking up I spotted Georgiou with my order in a red tray. The tall blond had his eyebrow raised and his lips twisted in a curious smile.

     "Things," I mumbled, answering Georgiou before looking away from him. I heard the tray with my order being dropped. I looked up, taking my receipt from the table and stuffing it into my jacket as Georgiou yelled something to someone at the back. I had ordered a small pizza with a canned soda. Georgiou was the Alpha of one of the many rogue packs in the area. His folk stuck around the downtown parts, and they ran a pizzeria to make some money and have a packhouse of some sort. Many of the city wolves lived in their own apartments, but the need for community that ran through their blood made this faux pack arrange very common in urban areas.