6 | AN ALPHA'S PRESENCE

LEN

     I don't know why I felt shy when I led Adyen down the street that the pizza place was located at, but I did. There was something about showing him off to my pack down here in Toronto that had me nervous. He was in a way, going to meet my second family, but didn't know that it yet. My face contorted into a distressed expression when I thought about the questions I would get bombarded with when Adyen left. The older wolves could be overbearing.

     "Are you okay?" I blinked at Adyen, turning my head to look at him. His brown eyes were wide with worry, and his curls bounced a bit when he cocked his head.

     "I'm alright," I said, looking away when I felt my face warm up. Adyen could always catch when I was nervous. It was a bit unsettling, but it made my heart jump every time because it meant he was paying attention to me. It used to be the same with Ahote. 

     God damn it. I scolded myself for thinking about him again. I had to get him out of my head. He had a partner and two children. 

     "If you say so," Adyen said, pulling me out of my head. My gaze shifted to him, and I rose my brown in curiosity when he started humming. I've never heard him sing before, but I'd take a guess and say he had a nice voice. He was wearing a black winter jacket over a white hoodie today, and his thick brown winter socks peeked from the top of his black boots. The way he shook like a leaf whenever a cool breeze hit our faces was cute. I balled my hands in my pocket, starting to feel the chill too. Winters with a bare minimum get up was the norm in Peace River, so I was comfortable without gloves and hats, but at times like this when it was chiller than usual, I wished I would suck up how uncomfortable gloves were and just get a pair.

     The silence from before returned, and the only thing that echoed in the street was the sound of our boot soles crunching the frozen pedestrian way. It was around three in the afternoon, and the streets were empty. Not a lot happened downtown until nighttime when everyone was out in bars. I expected the Pizza joint to be less busy than usual compared to the hours when I often came.

     "The Pizza at Georgiou's isn't great," I said, deciding to come clean with that. This was a date of some sort, and I didn't want bad pizza to ruin it.