Chapter 13: Mom

I drummed my fingers anxiously on the table. How was I going to do this? What if my mom didn't want to speak to me? I was starting to sweat. Oh no, I can't do this. I can't face my mom.

Gray reached over and held my hand. He gave me an encouraging smile. I sighed in relief absorbing his strength. It was a good thing I begged him to be there with me. 

"This garlic shrimp looks amazing Lana," smiled my mom.

"I'm glad you think so, I-I know how much you like it," I stuttered, it was the first sentence I've spoken to her since the accident. 

Okay, the hardest part was over. I couldn't believe I just did that.

My mom's eyes widened. Oh no I screwed up. Right before I broke eye contact. she smiled wholeheartedly. What... She didn't recoil. 

Gray squeezed my hand. He was right. I was going to hear a whole lot of I told you so's later.

"Mrs. Meyers, Lana was complaining about having nothing to wear for our date, do you think you could help her shop for something?" asked Gray.

I shot him a look, we didn't have a date planned-- he was totally scheming. 

He winked at me. 

I couldn't help but feel happy, he was really trying hard to help me.

"Yeah, I'd really appreciate it," I added.

My mom's face was the happiest I'd seen it since the accident. "Of course honey! We can go tomorrow after school."

"Perfect," I smiled, relieved at her answer.

The rest of the night went as normally as it usually did, but the atmosphere was different. Lighter. Happier.

I did that.

After dinner, I walked Gray to the door. He pulled me into a hug and lay his chin on top of my head. This was the closest we've ever been. My heart pounded so hard I wondered if he could feel it since I was being crushed against him.

"I'm so proud of you," he whispered.

It's been a long time since I had made anyone proud.

"I can't thank you enough," I mumbled into his chest. He made it happen. He helped me build the bridge to patching things up with my mother.

"This is all you babe," he said. Babe? I liked the sound of that. 

His phone rung breaking the spell.

"Are you going to answer that?" I asked, trying to pull back. Gray only held me tighter.

"Let's stay like this," he replied.

I smiled like a fool. His phone kept ringing, it was setting an awkward atmosphere.

"What if it's an emergency?" I asked again.

He sighed and pulled it out.

"Hello?" Gray made a face and pulled the phone away from his ear for a bit. I could hear the yelling from where I was standing. Whoever was on the other line did not sound too happy.

"I'm at--" he frowned. "Mom... Listen to me... I'm coming home-- chill... Bye mom."

I analyzed his face. From the way his brows were drawn and his lips frowned, I could tell it did not look good.

"You okay?" I asked, my hand reaching out for his.

He nodded his head and put on a tight smile, but his eyes said something else. "Come over tomorrow. I want you to meet my parents."

I winced at my previous encounter with his mother. She was very intimidating and did not seem to approve of me.

"It will mean a lot to me," he said noticing my reaction.

He broke me with those few words. I owed Gray everything, the least I could do was endure a few hours with his parents-- as uncomfortable as that will be.

"Okay," I sighed.

His face broke out in that breathtaking grin. 

"I want you to tell me what happens tomorrow," he said regarding my shopping trip with my mom. I found myself excited for tomorrow. Excited to bond with my mom. Excited to tell Gray the details. I loved how invested he was in this. How much he cared about me.

"I will." Gathering my courage, I leaned up and brushed a quick kiss on his cheek. 

Gray's body tensed and his eyes widened in shock. His expression was suddenly replaced by a dreamy smile. "If I'd known you were going to do that, I would have asked you a long time ago."

My cheeks turned crimson. I was also wishing I had done that a long time ago. 

"Goodnight Gray," I rolled my eyes, trying to hide my lovestruck look.

"Good night Lana," he kissed my hand, making me turn a shade darker. 

I couldn't stop the way my heart beat. The way my stomach turned. 

It was happening-- it has happened.

It was final. 

I had fallen for Gray Roland.

---------------------------------

Don't be silent readers!

Vote and comment!

I always love reading what you have to say!

XO