20

Catarina

Today is the day, today we will say goodbye to our beautiful 2019.  (just not the sarcasm) and say hi to the hopefully good 2020. I am almost done getting ready and I tried my best to look good, even tho I don't know why. I don't need to impress Hero, I was the one to break up with him. I grab my necklace trying to remove my thoughts about Hero away and put it on. The necklace is the simple one with a silver heart. It matches my beautiful gray dress that reaches my knees and the black shoes with the small heel. My hair isn't messily curly as usually, it's lightly curled with a lot of hair spray to keep it stable, but it looks better than I thought it will. I didn't plan on going to a party for New Year because that's not something I would usually do so I bought the dress and the shoes in the last minute. I looked at myself in the mirror one last time before leaving the house and remind myself that I am not going there to impress Hero. I am going to make his mom happy and only that. I hope that I have enough makeup to cover the mess of my face and my whole life.
The car ride is awkward, even if I am alone, it's awkward, I got a car yesterday, finally and I am still getting used to it and how to put on the navigation to the house Hero told me his parents live, but the silence is horrible in every space. When I finally arrive at Hero's parents place the rush of excitement and nervousness takes over my body.

I knock on the door trying to hide my shaky hand and the tall girl with a warm smile opens the door. "Hi, you must be Catarina" she surprises me with a hug, but I of course, hug her back. "Yes that's me, are you Hero's sister?" I ask not knowing what else to say and she nods her head. "Yes, I am Mercy, come in, Hero is in the living room" she says and immediately disappear. This house is full of people and apparently that's only Hero's family. I fix my dress when I think nobody is looking and walk around a bit curiously. I don't think I should go to Hero, he doesn't know I am here, but maybe he'd understand that all of this is for his mom. I didn't even think of the possibility of him thinking I came here to get back to him, because that's not what's happening. I try not to feel uncomfortable when I feel someone watching me while I am walking through the long hallway. Maybe someone is hidden watching me or I am simply going insane. The second possibility is more probable. I gulp seeing Hero sitting on the couch and talking with some people. He looks simply gorgeous without even trying. He is wearing black jeans, a white shirt, his Air Forces ones of course, and a chain necklace, I never saw him wearing a chain necklace, but it fits him really really good. His hair is made on one side perfectly and his skin is just glowing.

I decide to set all my insecurities aside and finally walk in that damn living room. "Hi" I say shyly play with the fabric of my dress and Hero looks at me shocked and surprised immediately, his eyes are stuck on me and even tho I am not looking directly at him, I feel like he is not blinking. I just hope he won't say something in front of his mom and ruin everything I worked so hard for. "Hi! You must be Catarina! It's so nice to meet you!" His mom's face lightens up immediately when she seems and she pulls me in a tight friendly hug. Well done, Catarina, well done. "That's me, it's so nice to meet you too mrs. Tiffin" I say smiling a bit and she pulls away from the hug. "Oh please, hunny, call me Martha" she says smiling and I nod my head. "It's really nice to meet you Martha" I say sitting down on the same couch as Hero, but a bit far away from him. "Here you go a drink, everyone can drink today, even if you are underage" she hands me a cup with a strange liquid inside and I chuckle. "Thank you" I say and take a tiny little sip of the drink inside the cup. I never really drunk alcohol, I was scared of the consequences, but I guess, I can have a little fun tonight, I hope drunk me will want to annoy the shit out of Hero.