13

My day is going much like any other... that is, until around noon when Taylor let's me know both my stepmother and sister have come for a surprise visit.

I'm sure they called, but I left my phone with Taylor so I could charge it while I was in a meeting.

As soon as I walk out to the lobby, my stepmother and sister rush to me, both talking over each other as we walk into my office.

"Why didn't you tell us?" "Did you know?" "He's beautiful." "We want to meet him ." "Why didn't you say anything?!"

"Whoa. Whoa. Slow down," I say, motioning for them to sit but they don't. "And one at a time, what are you talking about?"

"Mom and I were out to lunch," Mia begins, "We saw this little boy that looked eerily similar to you."

Me? Okay?"

"Well, we just thought he looked a lot like you. But when her mother saw us, she got scared or something and left before they were finished eating. That seemed strange to me, so that's when I followed after her and asked if she knew you."

"And?"

"She said no."

"Well, there's your answer, what has you so worked up then?"

"Dinah ," Mia says my name with exhasperation. "It was obvious she was lying."

"Why would she lie?" Whoever she is.

"I don't know, maybe for the fact that she has your love child."

If I had been drinking, I would've spit it out all over her. Instead, I choke and cough.

"Mia, don't be ridiculous, I don't have any kids, you know that."

"Do I?

Do you?! He  looked just like you, Dinah! And the mother ran from me."

"Do you blame her? Hell, I would've ran from you, too. Two crazy women kept staring at her child and then chased her down. She probably thought you were planning to kidnap her baby. I don't have any children, Mia, and I don't plan on having any, I don't care how good it looks to be a family man."

I know because I always use protection. Always.

While it would be nice to have an heir to all this, I just don't think I could bring a child into a loveless marriage. My parents were in love, or so I thought, and look what happened to them. It's then that I learned love is for fools and love will only lead to heartache.

"Are you sure, darling?" Elena, my stepmother and Mia's mother checks. "She looked so much like you when you were younger."