7

I don't know them, and I don't know if they know Dinah Jane, but I know I fucked up.

I know being in the same city as her, I risked the chance of bumping into her or people she knows. But she's... well, she's so high profile and busy, I'm sure she has other people to do her errands or shopping or whatever. Besides, I've lived here for three years and I've only seen her once, and that was at her building. Other than that, I haven't seen Dinah.

I never thought of people who know her, bumping into us and putting it together that Chris looks like her. Or even strangers, they could see the similarities and go to the media with a hot story.

When Chris was a baby, I always thought he looked like me, but as he got older his features started to change, looking more and more like Dinah .

"Mommy, why are we running?"

We're far enough away where I could walk, but I don't want to take that chance.

So, as not to scare him, I turn it into a game.

"Run, run, as fast as you can, you can't catch me, I'm the Gingerbread Man!"

It works. He giggles and insists I read that book when we get back home.

It doesn't take much longer before we are safely inside our apartment.

I'm still shaken up, I need Justine or Ethan, but I can't talk about anything with Chris still awake.

Since it's naptime, I read him the book, twice, and then finally he's sleeping.

I quietly shut his bedroom door, and then go out into the living room to call Ethan.