<2>

When we got back to the gates I noticed a small group of peculiar people. Our horses circled them and I noticed that they were no elves nor were they humans.
It appears Lindir had greeted them already.
"Dwarves?" I questioned. Then as I saw the tall wizard adorned with grey robes.
"Gandalf!"
I lithely jumped from my horse and skipped to greet the gentle wizard. I noticed the group of dwarves tense as I passed them by. He smiled down at me and bowed, with his hand over his heart in the typical elven greeting. I then grinned and threw my arms around his shoulders. He chuckled at my energy.
Lord Elrond appraised the wizard from his horse still.
"My friend. Where have you been?" Gandalf enquired. His mastery of the elfish language always amazed me.
"We've been hunting a pack of Orcs that came up from the south." Lord Elrond replied, dismounting. "We slew a number near the hidden pass." He greeted Gandalf with a quick hug and began speaking English once more.
"It's strange for Orcs to come so close to our borders. Something or someone has drawn them near."
"Ah. That may have been us." Gandalf admitted.
At this revelation I scanned the group carefully. They seemed like an odd bunch, I was pretty certain a hobbit lay in the middle of their huddle. However my eyes appeared to be drawn to the fairest haired dwarf, his hair was meticulously braided and beaded. With a start I realised that our eyes had connected and I sharply looked to the floor.
"Ellothrien. Take your leave."
I looked up at my uncle. Surely he couldn't be asking me to leave now. Not when such exciting visitors had appeared. I wanted to hear Gandalf's explanation.
"This does not concern you," My horse was already being led away and I looked at Elrond with utter betrayal before darting up the stone steps into our domain.
I rushed to my quarters and threw myself on the bed. Of course the one time something exciting happens I get banished away to my room.
I had however overheard my uncle offer food so perhaps there would be a chance to do some eavesdropping.

*. *. *.

I had been in my room for mere human minutes before Lord Elrond opened the door and stepped through.
I was sprawled on my back on the bed, arms dangling off the end and fingers brushing the floor.
"There is no need to despair so, I simply sent you away at that moment. I have not exiled you." His tone sounded teasing but I wasn't in the mood to joke.
Before I could speak my uncle interjected,
"I ought to remind you of the feast tomorrow." I frowned and flipped over onto my front. All the blood that had rushed to my head made me slightly dizzy.
"A feast...?" I couldn't remember any such event being organised.
"Yes, Ellothrien. To discuss your marriage. Your betrothal has gone on long enough and you are both of age. I see no reason to delay. He cares for you deeply."
I sighed, sitting up completely.
"Uncle, I've put this off for so long because I'm not sure it's the right thing to do."
"Uniting our two kingdoms in a way such as this will bring no hardship or ill times."
"But you always told me to be true to myself, Uncle. I cannot marry without love."
"You and Legolas are not without love. Ellothrien, the way he gazes at you, I believe he would lay down his life for you. I just want what's best for you."
I sighed deeply and headed towards the window that overlooked the valley and the river. The sun was setting at the right angle so the whole land was bathed in its golden glow.
"I admit that perhaps Legolas feels for me more than I'd like to admit. And I love him as a friend. Someone I've grown up with and sometimes the only elf I feel truly understands me. But I can't love him the way you desire me to. It would be unfair to pretend."
Lord Elrond paced uneasily behind me.
"Sometimes my dear we have to make sacrifices."
"And I shall make those sacrifices for true love. Just like my father did. He left our community for my mother despite knowing he could never return if he revealed their relationship."
I heard no response and turned to see him sitting on the edge of my bed, head in his palm.
"That's not quite true little one. Your mother was murdered. By an Orc called Azog. This was before the two could reveal their relationship and the child they both cherished safely. So he had to hide her. Hide her identity and their true relationship... There is not a day that goes by where I don't miss your mother. I loved her with all my heart. Just as I love you... My daughter."
My heart skipped a beat as his eyes looked deep into my own. The sincerity in them was enough to drown in. I gasped and broke the gaze, turning back to the window. The view had melted into a fantastic golden pool of colour as tears swelled in my eyes.
"All my life you told me my parents had died protecting me from dark forces and yet here you stand in front of me. My father? You lied to me? My whole life is a lie."
The tears dropped mercilessly down my cheeks and I spun round to confront Lord Elrond. My father. The words left a bitter aftertaste in my mind.
"Why?"
The one word left my throat in a broken crack.
He sighed and stood, walking towards the door of my chamber.
"You'll understand when you're older."
"No! No don't do this to me. Everything is 'when you're older' I'm not a child uncle! Or should I say father!" I shouted after him, rage building as the questions piled high.
"Everything I do is for you Ellothrien."
And with that he disappeared down the stairway.
I let out a muffled shriek as my fists curled in on themselves and my nails dug into the flesh of my palms. Only when they'd started to sting did I come to my senses. There was a large thing that I seemed to be forgetting. It was just out of my grasp to remember.
Ah yes.
The dwarves.