<1>

"Ellothrien!"
A small giggle escaped my lips as I clasped my hand over my mouth.
From beneath the table I watched the graceful robes of my uncle drift past.
My ears perked up and as soon as he sounded far enough away I lifted the cloth and sprinted out of the dining hall towards the trees surrounding the lake.
As far away from my tutor as I could possibly get.
"Ellothrien!"
I gasped and spun around to see my uncle and his right hand man walking towards me. He had a stern expression yet an amused twinkle in his eye.
I backed up towards the lake. I was surrounded.
With a small grunt of effort I sprinted towards the closest tree with the lowest boughs and launched myself into the safety of its branches. Swiftly I climbed as high as I could and poked my head back down through the greenery.
I saw the crown placed atop my uncle's head glittering gently in the sun as it reflected off the crystal water of the lake.
"I wonder where she could have gone? We shall have to cancel her archery lessons for today it seems." He turned at the small thud as my feet landed on the grass behind him.
"Hello Uncle."
"Ellothrien. I looked all over for you. Your stealth skills are improving greatly. Now, I shall strike a bargain; An hour of archery for an hour of tutoring in healing."
I frowned at him, my eyebrows creasing my forehead as I crossed my small arms.
"And perhaps this might help persuade you."
My jaw dropped in utter shock at the beautiful bow he retrieved from behind his back.
The wooden longbow weighted perfectly in my small hands and I traced the carvings with wonder.
"One day this will be yours." Elrond places his large hands over mine and raises my chin in order to look at him.
His eyes held a deep sorrow that as a young child I hardly picked up on, too focused on the beauty in my hands.
"You have a long journey ahead of you my dear. It will not be kind to you but the most I can do is to prepare you. You have courage and a strong heart. They will take you far, my dear. Now go," he handed me my child sized bow and gently took the new bow from my longing hands.

*. *. *.

I winced as the patient gripped onto my arm tightly.
"Sorry." I apologised.
"It's fine." He grimaced as I attended to his wounds.
In the many years that had passed Lord Elrond had awoken a passion for healing within me and my skills were improving each day. Unfortunately my skills were needed more and more often.
"How many Orcs were there this time?"
"It was a large pack, can't have been more than thirty but they were more organised than any before them."
I hummed as I finished inspecting and clearing the wound of arrow shards.
"They don't usually come so close to these parts." I fretted.
"I wouldn't worry, my lady. I'm sure we will chase them off."
I smiled down at the elf. I knew him quite well as an officer in our army. He had been out multiple times to deal with the frequent Orc raids surrounding our lands.
I mixed a small infusion of lissuin with water in order to calm him and stop any swelling. Gently I dabbed and cleaned the wound in his side before bandaging him up and ordering him to rest for a few hours.
"You've becomes very capable child." A voice spoke from behind me. I carried on packing away my equipment.
"I'm not a child anymore Uncle." I sighed as I stood and graced him with a gentle hug.
"You are to me." I chuckled at his comment.
"If you'd excuse me my Lord, I have combat lessons now."
"Of course. I ought to inform you that the prince of Mirkwood will be attending the feast tonight."
I nodded tersely and grabbed my bag, almost fleeing from the medical hall.
The outside had always appealed to me. The freshness and green of Rivendell never ceased to amaze me.
I raced towards the training grounds, my bag containing my daggers and arrows bouncing against my hip. I made a quick diversion to the bow store and carefully extricated my own bow from its shelf and slung it across my body. Then I stepped onto the training grounds with a beaming grin.

*. *. *.

"My Lord Elrond." I bowed slightly as I attended the head of the table. He smiled down at me as I took my seat beside him, appraising the gathering of elves spread out at the table before us.
The whole court was here and many of the common working elves appeared at table surrounding them. This was perhaps a bigger occasion than I had been informed of.
The doors to the great hall opened once more and I gasped slightly as Thranduil himself entered, followed by young Legolas. He walked with such an air of grandeur that I had to avert my eyes as he reached us to take his own seat at the head of the table.
Legolas moved to take his seat next to me and I grinned conspiratorially as I remembered how most of these meetings ended.
We both had a running competition as to who the best archer really was. We were currently at a draw.
Unusually, the blonde stayed solemn. He didn't even make an effort to engage in eye contact. With a small frown I turned my gaze forwards to see the crowd.
My uncle tapped his glass and the chime rang through the hall.
"I have a grand announcement to make. As a promise to our people of good relations and prosperity, the two regions of Rivendell and Mirkwood shall be joined by the matrimony of the two young descendants of our lines."
My eyes widened almost imperceptibly as I looked at Thranduil and Elrond who both nodded at one another gracefully. The hall erupted in cheers so loud I could have sworn the foundations trembled.
That was when I cast a horrified glance at the elf beside me who appeared to have a light tint of pink across his cheeks.

*. *. *.

I notched another arrow and let it fly, straight into the chest of another Orc. There were a surprising number so close to our borders.
"Ellothrien!" I swung my head round to reply to the call and leaned backwards swiftly as a dagger brushed past my face, only inches away. My heart stuttered slightly but I reciprocated by throwing my own dagger, embedding it in the head of the last dreaded Orc.
I gazed around the small army we had bright and the soldiers all seemed unharmed. There were a few horses with wounds and a few scratches on the elves but overall we were okay.
"We should return hastily." Uncle Elrond called and his guard hurried ahead at a gallop. I urged my horse to follow them and he picked up speed quickly.
"Your technique is improving Ellothrien," my uncle commented.
"I've been practicing." I replied.
"With Legolas?"
"Uncle please..." I sighed and gripped the reins tighter. "Not now."
With that I sped up and headed towards the front of the group.