"Oh Tate." Megan drew him into her arms and held him close as he held the phone in his hands and sobbed. Suddenly everything overwhelmed him. Not seeing his family for almost 3 years. Hearing that Adele forgave him for everything he had done. Remembering Jake's funeral and remembering the hatred filled looks people threw at him. Knowing that his nephew wasn't scared of him and asked after him.

"I miss him." He spoke, thinking of Jake, thinking of the brother that he had killed, and whose life had been cut way too short. Megan didn't speak, just ran her fingers through his hair. After he was all cried out, he sat up, wiping his sore eyes and looking at the woman in front of him. Tears were running down her cheeks too and she smiled weakly.

"Do you feel better?" She asked softly. Tate thought about it and realized he did. He felt just a little more free, and little lighter than before, as if Adele had taken a huge burden off of him.

"Yeah." He wiped his eyes again and then gave a shaky laugh. "I'm sorry. I don't usually cry. Too tough for that and all. Cowboys don't usually show their emotions." Megan laughed and shook her head.

"Don't be silly Tate. You don't have to be sorry. Besides I think crying is a lot better than drinking away your emotions." He smiled wryly at her comment before realizing that without her, that's exactly what he would have done. This girl had changed him for the better and he loved it. They sat in silence for a long while before Tate suddenly sat up.

"I want to call my mama." Megan looked up at him with glistening eyes.

"Are you sure?" He nodded and she smiled at him. "Tate I'm so proud." She started to lift herself up to get herself in her wheelchair, but Tate grabbed her wrist.

"Stay." She frowned a little at him.

"Don't you want privacy?" He shook his head and held tightly to her wrist.

"I can't do it without out you. Please stay." She nodded and sat back down but it wasn't enough for Tate. He drew her into his lap and buried his face into her hair, taking a deep breath before dialing the familiar number. His finger hovered above the call button and Megan looked up at him.

"You can do it." She whispered and he closed his eyes and pressed call, putting the phone on speaker phone. The ringing echoed through the house and Tate felt his heart pounding harder than ever. Suddenly the ringing stopped.

"Hello?" His mama's sweet voice echoed over the line and Tate felt his heart stop all together.

"Hi mama." He said quietly. Dead silence echoed over the line and then..

"Tate! Tate is that really you?" His mama shrieked and Tate winced and laughed a little.

"Yes mama. It's really me." Sobbing came over the line and Tate shut his eyes tight against the tears that wanted to spill again.

"Oh my baby boy. I've missed you so, so much."

"I've missed you too mama." The phone call lasted almost an hour, and consisted of Tate telling his mama everything he could think of. They cried about Jake for a little bit, and he told her about Adele's message.

"Will you come home now baby?" He could hear the hope in her voice but he just didn't know if he was ready to see them all again.

"I don't know yet mama. I just don't know."

"Well as long as you call weekly, then I guess I can survive a little longer. You take your time baby." When he finally hung up, his heart was full and a smile was painted across his face. Megan turned to look at him with glowing eyes.

"I am so, so glad you finally called her Tate." He leaned down and kissed her hard, smiling against her lips.

"Me too. And I don't think I would've ever been able to do it without you Megs. You've changed my whole life completely and I can't thank you enough. I know it might be a little too soon to say this but I've known it for a little while now. I love you Megan. You've started healing me in ways that I can't even begin to understand." Tears trickled slowly down Megan's cheeks and she drew him closer for a hug.

"I love you too Tate. I don't know what I ever could've done without you." They sat talking long into the night about their plans to go to Texas, and both of them were so thankful to have the other in their life.

****

Another shortish chapter, but an emotional one. There should be another chapter coming soon, as I have more time to update now that I am quarantined. :) The ending of this one was a little shaky, and not how I wanted to end it but I didn't know how else to! Also, I'm not sure how many more chapters there will be, but I'm guessing this book won't be longer than 35. So we are nearing the home stretch! As always that you so, so much for taking the time to read this book! ~S

The Healing RanchOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara