Chapter 5

I continued to tear bricks out. The shaking was both useful but annoying at the same time. It helped to knock the bricks out, but it made manually taking the bricks out both dangerous and difficult. Once enough of the bricks were out, I crawled out of the space as quickly as possible. I was about halfway out when I felt the force of the water ram into my feet.  I let out a gasp as I felt myself start to fall into the water. I grabbed onto the wall as tight as I could. Soon the pressure of the wat was too much to handle and I could feel my hands letting go. 

I felt all of the air leave my lungs as the water thrust my body harshly against the wall in the darkness. The world around me only seemed to exist through the pain it gave me. Please oh holy ones, I prayed, If you want me to die, please just do it quick. Or is there a reason for this? For all the pain you've allowed to happen to me?  Please,  this is the only answer I need.

Soon after that, the light had filled my vision. It was so bright I thought I felt my heart stop beating. I felt air refill my lungs as I felt the air hit my face. What's going on? I asked myself. The muffled sound of waves hitting the shore filled my ears, forcing me into full consciousness.  I forced my eyes open despite the burning and managed to pull myself into a treading position. I looked to find I had "floated" out of the back of the castle, which was cleaner than I thought it was. It a little bit of garbage here and there, but otherwise was spotless. I saw the water had carried me over a dock that was at the end of the tunnel. The water was still going over the dock but had slowed down enough that I was able to see it. As I looked around, the only other thing I saw was the shore. So with nowhere else to go, I started to swim towards the sand. As I walk onto the land, I notice a few stragglers staring at me. There was a group of girls nearby staring and whispering. I knew what they were probably saying. Something along the lines of "Isn't that the princess?" and "Why was she in the water?" or "Why isn't anyone watching her?". 

I ignored them as I headed towards a set of stairs that led to one of the side streets. I stopped in my tracks as I saw a group of guards appear at the top of the stairs. I made sure to hide in plain sight by keeping my head down so my face was covered by my hair. "Everybody back up on to the streets now!" one of them yelled.

 I shuffled past them, keeping my head down, and went up the stairs without saying a word. My heart stopped as I tripped on one of the steps. I heard the groans of the group of girls I had passed by. "You'd think she never walked upstairs before," I heard one of them say.

Ignoring her, I stood up again and finished the rest of the way up the stairs before veering off to the side of the stairs once getting to the top. I tried to run my fingers through my hair, but it was starting to dry and was tangled. My fingers, needless to say, became stuck and almost impossible to take out. My middle finger, in particular, was having the most trouble. After trying to get it out, and realizing I was just making it worse, I gave up on it. I walked down the isolated street in the hopes of finding someone to help me. Not long after I started my search, I found a small barbershop. There was an 'open' sign on the front door and I could see a man through the window.  As I got closer to the shop, I could see the man more clearly. He was obviously an older man.  There was a dark stamp at the base of his neck. I knew almost immediately what it was. It was branding.

 My father often branded those he deemed unworthy of love. This often caused people to be isolated from others and for many businesses to be closed down for fear of being associated with someone who is in opposition to the king. Branding usually meant your eventual death. 

Still needing help to free my hand, I walked into the shop, startling the old man, and smiled at him. He stared at me in disbelief before smiling back.  "What can I do for you dear?" 

"I need help with two things actually. First, in case you haven't noticed, my hand has gotten in quite a bit of trouble with my hair."

He let out a low chuckle. "Second of all," I continued, "I'm in need of a disguise. A new haircut to disguise me from others."

He raised an eyebrow. "How would a haircut disguise you from people who have seen your face before?"

"My hair gets darker when it's cut. Only I and my family know that. Plus that's the point. They have seen my face not the rest of my head. So they wouldn't recognize my ears or jawline"

He nods and motions for me to sit in a chair. I sat down and pushed my hair out of my face. When he looked at me in the mirror, his eyes widened as if he just saw my face fr the first time. "Princess? What are you doing here? Your father won't be pleased to know you've been here."

"He doesn't have to know. That's actually why I need a disguise. So people won't report me to my father and bring me back. I'll do anything for you to keep a secret."

He chuckled once more. "I'll doubt anyone will believe me with this branding, but I suppose to pay for my services there is one thing you can do. You'll have to go to the task maker, do what he tells you and give me a quarter of your earnings. He usually gives easy tasks. I'll help you find your way once I'm done with your hair."

He started cutting away and for the first time, I relaxed.

EleanorMay29 made the aesthetic above