8| My Relationship, My Business

Start from the beginning

"mom, i'm not doing something big. he doesn't like extravagant things." i said with a soft smile. she gave me a doubtful look. "did you forget that this is the guy that planned a whole day for your birthday and made you what resembled to a wedding cake by himself?"

i opened and closed my mouth as she was right. "i'm behind. i gotta go. i'll be at josh's. love you!" i said while grabbing my keys and going out the door. "love you too! good luck!" she shouted after me.

i locked my front door behind me then started the short walk to josh's house in the sunrise. i crossed the street cautiously and walked up to josh's door. i dialed his number and after a couple rings, he picked up. "hello?" he answered tiredly.

"i'm outside. come let me in. hurry, i'm already behind." i notified him. he mumbled an okay then hung up. almost immediately, the door opened. "you know, when you said you were coming over early, i didn't think you meant the crack of dawn." he said grumpily.

"good morning to you too." i replied, welcoming myself in. i immediately went to the kitchen and started grabbing the ingredients i told josh to buy. "what are you doing?" he asked sitting down in front of me at the island.

"cooking breakfast. are you helping?" i asked as i got bowls and cooking utensils. "kayc, you can't cook." he said as if he was stating the obvious.

"but i can bake and i can make an omelet. that's enough for my goal today." i said determined. "but this could be faster if there were four hands.." i trailed off while putting flour into a bowl.

josh groaned then gave in causing me to cheer. "i'll make the omelets." he declared. "what are we putting in them?"

"everything over there that i pulled out. sean likes egg whites!" i exclaimed strictly. josh hummed in response then got to work on the food. for the next hour, all that was heard in the kitchen was the clatter of utensils hitting bowls or pans.

we heard someone enter the kitchen. startled, i looked up to see ken. a sigh of relief left my mouth as it wasn't sean. "oh hey, kayc. why are you here so early?" he yawned.

"don't have time to talk. i have to make sure everything is perfect." i said frantically as i glanced at the clock hanging on josh’s wall. i grabbed the oven mitt before taking both the muffins and breakfast hand pies out of the oven. i helped my mom make them a couple weeks ago for fun and i thought why not have sean try them now.

"well if it helps, sean was staying up playing piano so he shouldn't be up anytime soon. and the food smells amazing." ken said, trying to calm me, but it only heightened my nerves. he was playing piano.

sean only plays piano when he's frustrated or upset with himself. serris said so. what if-

"kaycee!" josh said waving his hand in front of my face. i was quickly pulled from my thoughts and turned my head to josh. "yeah?" i asked quickly.

"we're done. stop panicking." he said, placing his hand on my shoulder comfortingly. "how about you just plate everything while ken and i go get everyone?" i nodded quickly and started stacking the now warm muffins on a plate, the pastries on another.

after a couple minutes, everyone came downstairs with tired faces, except from sean who was nowhere in the room. "where's sean?" i asked them anxiously.

"i don't know. i woke him up fir-" ken said, pointing behind him. he was cut off as everyone turned to the door as it opened. a tired looking sean walked through the door only to lock eyes with my own.

the clatter of dishes and chatter died as he entered, the tension between us sensed instantly. i examined sean further when i noticed that he had slight bags underneath his eyes. the thick strands of his bangs, partially covered his eyes. i felt myself start to shake in my shoes. deciding to break the silence, i spoke up.

"hi." i said softly, my fear setting in. i was met with his silence. determined, i just proceeded to talk. "um, i knew you'd be extremely exhausted after yesterday so i made your favorite, an egg white omelet with loads of mushroom and i think spinach. josh helped. he didn't want me to burn your breakfast. and- and some pastries that my mom and i made once.." i met his eyes again and i couldn't read them for the life of me.

"oh! the muffins! can't forget the muffins. i made you these because i remember you loving them when i woke you up the day after we kissed for the first time. i thought this would be a start, you know? because of yesterday. i was being dumb and so rude to you because you're really sweet for always being here for me. i shouldn't have yelled at you," i rambled on while putting the plate in his hand. "but i know this doesn't make up for it. i'm going to make it up to you because i'm really sorry, sean."

i watched nervously as sean placed the plate down on the table. he bit his lip as he slowly stalked closer to me. my hands instinctively wrung together at the nerves that were building up inside. i've never experienced this look before. not just from sean, but from anybody. once he stood in front of me, toe to toe, a nervous sigh left my lips.

"can you guys give us a sec?" sean asked.