Chapter 3- Interrogations

The dining hall was big enough for at least six people. Viraat found it very attractive for having two beautiful hanging lights above the dining table. The two hefty men were the first to be questioned. "Good morning gentlemen. I'm Viraat Nair. I'm a novelist from Cochin." He shook hands with the two men.
"I'm Vikram." The first one introduced.
"I'm Vidyut." The second one introduced. "We both are from Bangalore. Just wanted to relax in this part of the world." He added.

"I can see that." Viraat said. "But we've got an unexpected problem here. The owner, Vipin Varier has been murdered."
"What!" Both the men exclaimed. "That's absolutely impossible. Why would someone want to murder a man like him?" Vidyut asked.
"Why not? Did you know him well?" Viraat asked.
"We've been staying here since the past two days. He was the one who arranged everything for us. He was a very kind-hearted person. We've had a pleasant stay here all because of him. We were all surprised when he didn't show up today morning." Vidyut replied.

"When did all this happen?" Vikram asked.
"Last night, Seema found him dead on the bed. I had met with an accident and came here for help. That explains my bandages. Actually, I found him dead first. I was hurt badly and was almost unconscious. I came into the room and he was dead." Viraat explained.

The two men suspiciously looked at Viraat. The novelist felt like he was again being suspected. "By the way, who's Seema?" Vikram asked.
"You haven't met her? She's like the adopted daughter of the murdered man." Viraat replied.
"Adopted daughter? Vipin uncle never talked about her with us. Strange." Vidyut said.

"Anyway, the police came today morning and examined the room and the body. They say Vipin was killed at about eleven o' clock yesterday night. A pistol was even found under his bed. It's most likely to be the murder weapon. The police said they would get the fingerprints by evening."
"Why are you even telling us all this? Do you think we have something with it?" Vikram asked suspiciously.
"No no no. Nothing like that. I just wanted to inform this so that you are aware that such a thing has occured. Don't take this too much to yourself. When are you leaving?" The novelist asked.

"Tonight. Who's going to check us out?" Vidyut asked.
"Seema is there. She'll take care." Viraat replied.
"Who is this Seema?" Vidyut wondered out loud. "How haven't we met her?"
"Maybe she hasn't shown up in front of you. I'll tell her to meet you sometime today." Viraat replied as the two men left to their rooms.

Viraat went to the main office where Seema was reading a novel. "Seema, I met Vikram and Vidyut. They seem very nice." Viraat said.
"I don't know what I'm doing. I feel like someone trapped in a dark room with no windows and no doors. I'm stuck. I don't know where I'm going. Daddy was everything for me." Seema seemed to tear up every time the topic came up.
"You're not stuck. We're going to get to the bottom of this." Viraat replied positively.

"Why are you even helping me?" Seema asked wiping a tear. Viraat just gave a smile and said, "I can't answer that at this moment." There was a few minutes of awkward silence until Viraat broke it. "Vikram and Vidyut don't seem to know you a bit. They told me that Vipin never talked about you to them. Haven't you met them in person?" He asked.

"Maybe not." Seema replied. "But Mrs. Christiana and Ms. Claire know me well. Even Mrs. Christiana's daughter Cynthia is close to me. She's very talkative for a fifteen year old. I heard she was asking for me today morning. I'm not usually like this Viraat. I've shut myself today because of daddy's murder."
"How about you accompany me to talk with the other family? Looks like you need some fresh air." Viraat suggested. Seema agreed immediately giving a forced smile. Both went outside the dull building to the open dining hall. The first thing they could hear were the birds chirping on the short tree near the entrance. "Beautiful, isn't it?" Seema said as she noticed the two ladies coming towards them.