A Pain Worse Than Any Bruise

You paced back and forth, nervously. You didn't know why you had even agreed to this in the first place. This was a mistake. It had to be a mistake. This was just asking for heartbreak. It had been exactly a week later, when Cedric had managed to slip you a note, asking you to meet him in the Astronomy Tower, at Midnight. You weren't sure if you should go, but curiosity got the best of you—and despite your better judgement—you had agreed. It was almost 11:30 and for once in your lifetime, you were early. You were shaking with anticipation, unbelievably anxious. He could be here at any minute. You didn't know how much longer you could wait as your confidence plummeted with every second that passed. The longer he took, the more you contemplated leaving. You shook your head, this was a stupid idea. You needed to leave.

Before you had a chance to move, footsteps made their way up the stairs of the tower, creaking under his weight. You froze. You wanted to run, to leave before he even made it to the top of the steps, but you were rooted in place. What the Hell were you doing? You sincerely hoped that you wouldn't regret this. As he made it to the top of the stairs, his eyes fell onto you, his breath catching in his throat, his pale blue eyes full of fear.

His taffy coloured hair was pushed out in strange angles, bloodshot eyes and dark circles gave him a look of utter exhaustion. His tie was loose and crooked and his robes were wrinkled beyond repair. You averted your eyes, not knowing what to do. He stepped towards you and you backed away from him, unsurely. You weren't quite sure why. Maybe it was because you were afraid to be hurt again or maybe it was because you were afraid to trust him again. His face fell, tears welling in his eyes... You felt the urge to comfort him, but you didn't, you couldn't.

"I am so sorry, (Y/N)!" He took another step forward, as you staggered backwards, terrified and confused. A look of pain crossed over his face as he watched you back away from him in fear. What was he doing? "I fucked up, (Y/N)! I fucked up, really badly! I know that... I made a lot of really stupid decisions! All of which I regret! And I don't think I will ever be able to forgive myself for what I've don to you, but I am begging you to give me another chance! I am begging you for your forgiveness! Please," his voice cracked as he took another cautious step towards you. This time you didn't move, you stayed perfectly still, petrified.

"You left me. You left me when I needed you. You ignored me for months on end. You abandoned me. You left me all alone and then to make matters worse you forgot about me. How could you do that? How could you just forget? Abandon me like I meant nothing to you? Honestly, Cedric, I don't know why you are here, or did you forget that you had a girlfriend?" You whispered, your voice dangerously calm. His eyes dropped to the floor, in shame.

"I know... And I hate myself for doing that to you... I don't know why I ever got involved with Kathryn, but I broke it off a week ago. Kathryn means nothing to me. I don't want to be with her. (Y/N), you mean everything to me, I swear! I was stupid and foolish and it sickens me to think of what I have done. I took you for granted, throwing our friendship away, as if it were rubbish, when in reality, it's the most important thing I have. I am so sorry, (Y/N/N)! I didn't know what to do and I made a lot of terrible choices. When you kissed me..." You winced as the memory resurfaced. He moved forward, slowly, never taking his eyes off of you. "I panicked... I was scared... I didn't know what was happening! I didn't want to risk what we already had! In all honesty, I felt like I didn't deserve you, and I don't, but I'm crazy about you! I was a coward... I ran... I was weak... But now? I've realized that every moment I spend without you, is one that's not worth my time. I know that I have hurt you and that you are probably afraid to trust me or believe a word I am saying to you, but I want you to know that I regret every little thing I've done, that has caused you any amount of pain. I'm so sorry and I will spend every day of my life trying to make it up to you! I will get down on my knees and beg for your forgiveness! Please! I am begging you! I need you! I want you! My God! I-I'm... Fuck! (Y/N), I'm in love with you! There it is! Right out in the open! I love you with all of my heart, more than anything else in this world! A-And I can't believe it took be this long to..."