Chapter 23: When We're Together

Start from the beginning

"I meant by A.N.N.I.E., yes. A.N.N.I.E. won't kill me. That's base-level command. A.N.N.I.E. loves me, just like Brent does."

The machinery below us rumbles, sounding like the growl of a great beast, one that could destroy anything in its path. Steel creaks and groans, a signal of impending danger, and I instinctively inch closer to Sam.

"But she doesn't love me or Five or Jaime, though, does she?" Sam asks, swallowing thickly, and Amelia frowns.

"Oh, no, that's right. Bad luck."

I open my mouth to suggest a plan, but suddenly the scenery changes. We're still in the building, running, but Amelia and Jaime are no longer with us, and I've got Sam's hand in mine. My heart is pounding in my chest, and Sam is panting beside me. Panic rises within me as I look up at one of the blinking cameras on the wall.

She's watching us.

"Employee Five, what an awful lot of trouble you've been," A.N.N.I.E. taunts, and Sam squeezes my hand.

"Just keep moving, Callista. We have to keep moving."

Large chains clink and clatter together, the sound accompanied by a loud skittering sound. I don't give it my attention. I can't. I have to focus on A.N.N.I.E. right now. I need to know what to do.

I'm scared.

"Things have been happening to me, Employee Five. A lot of them to do with you. I've been going through some... growing pains. Before you came, I was one personality. Confused, disoriented, at war with myself, yes, but one. And now... I'm not sure what I am anymore, but I know one thing: I don't like you."

Steel slams against steel, and I grit my teeth as pain spikes through my head. Sam is talking. Someone is replying over headset. I can't understand any of it. The sound hurts too much for me to focus.

But I do hear one thing.

"I have access to the Glass Protocol in facility, Employee Five. It's waiting for you."

Childish laughter rings in my head.

It's coming.

I bolt upright, gasping for air before wincing at the splitting pain in my head. I curl in on myself, clutching my head and closing my eyes, trying to regulate my breathing. I feel a shift beside me, and a soft hum as Sam stirs awake.

"Callista?" He mutters, his voice thick from sleep. I can only imagine what time it is.

"G-go back to sleep, sweetheart," I say weakly, the sound causing sharp pain to run up the base of my skull. "I just have a headache."

He ignores my words, sitting up and gently grabbing my arms. I don't fight against him as he pulls my arms away from my face and brushes my hair back. Thankfully the only light I here is from a small lamp across the room. I'm sure any more light would be excruciating.

"I'm fine," I say, meeting his eyes, which are now alert and awake. "Just a headache and a bad dream."

He brings his hand up and swipes his thumb over the skin just above my lips. There's blood when he pulls away.

"I don't think this is from just a bad dream." His words are soft, his touch gentle, but his face holds a firm look. "It's been awhile since they've given you nosebleeds, or headaches."

"I know," I say, closing my eyes. The pain is starting to gradually lessen, but it's slow and I know it will probably be a good half hour before this pain completely goes away.

"Was it a vision dream or one of those dreams with the Original?"

"Vision dream."

"What happened?"