15 - The Draft

The draft: The first-year player draft is Major League Baseball's primary mechanism for assigning amateur baseball players from high schools, colleges, and other amateur baseball clubs to its teams.

Seven years ago

Seven years ago...

When Ben asked if she wanted to go home for dinner on a Wednesday night, she said, "Dad will have practice."

"I skip out early from practice. We'll go have a late dinner and come back. I've got a car we can use."

She didn't ask whose car, because it didn't matter as long as he hadn't stolen it. Kenzie had been avoiding going home because of Kimmy who she had been ignoring since the night of the baseball party. She only knew half of what went on and it turned her stomach. The texts from Kimmy had increased. She wanted to talk to Kenzie.

"It had better be to apologize," Kenzie said to Jett when she told him about Kimmy's texts.

Jett snorted and returned to the field. The game was starting.

She agreed to go, so she could talk to her friend. When they arrived at their childhood home, Ben grabbed his bike from the garage and headed out toward the path through the woods to the ball field and his father. Kenzie looked in the kitchen and didn't see any sign of dinner. All three of them could cook. They had to, growing up without a mother. During the season, her father would often throw something in the crockpot, but it sat on the counter stone cold.

She walked across the lawn and knocked on the door before opening it and calling out a hello. As neighbors, they were long past the need for formalities. The kitchen was empty, because Betsy was still at the bank.

"Kimmy!" she called. Kim had said she had the day off and would be home. Kenzie found her in her room asleep.

"Kimmy," she whispered. Her friend opened her eyes and looked at Kenzie like she had forgotten what she looked like.

"You finally came. I've been asking you, but you're too busy at your fancy college."

"Kimmy, you know it's important that I focus on school." They fought this battle throughout high school. When Kimmy put in zero effort at the public school, Kenzie had to study hard at the academy. "I'm here now. What have you been up to?"

It shocked her when Kimmy whispered, "I'm pregnant."

"You're what? When? How?"

"If you don't know how, ask your crush to show you."

She felt numb and Kimmy was joking. Kenzie hoped Kim wouldn't comment on the shade of red her face had to be.

"What are you going to do? What did your mother say?"

"I'm not telling my mother," Kim said with conviction.

Kenzie couldn't imagine telling her father something like that. He would flip out. "Who's the father?"