Chapter 17: The True Ending

Asuna's POV

I logged out of ALO into real life. I woke up in my bed and looked at the clock. It was around 1 am. I couldn't believe that I was diving for that long. I glanced outside and it was snowing.

"Kirito," I thought.

I got out of bed and walked over to my closet. I snatched a thick jacket and I left my room. I got downstairs and found my brother passed out on the couch. I glided across the floor and reached his wallet on the kitchen counter. I opened the flap and slowly took out the bus pass. I replaced the wallet and padded over to the front door. I reached for the door handle but something prevented me from continuing.

"I don't want to see you here ever again," Kotone's words sprouted into my mind.

"Do I go or do I stay?" I thought.

I considered what would happen if I stayed here or if I left to see Kirito. Before I could react, my hand grasped the doorknob and opened the door. I stepped outside and I felt the cold air nipping at my skin.

"Kirito, I'll see you soon," I thought.

I walked over to the gate and opened it. I walked out to the street and looked at the snow slowly drift down. I admired the beauty before walking over to the bus stop.

==Time Skip==

It was around 1:45 am when I reached Yokohama General Hospital. I walked through the parking lot to reach the lobby. In my peripheral view, something glinted in the light. I took a couple of paces forwards and I felt something touch my arm. I looked down at the pavement and I saw blood dripping from my hand. I grabbed my arm and leaned on a light pole.

"I still got an ace up my sleeve Kirito," a voice said, "Welcome, Asuna."

I whipped around and I saw Kotone standing there with a knife in her hand. Her left eye was pink instead of white.

"It's over Kotone, just turn yourself in," I shot back.

"Well, where's the fun in that?" she laughed, "No, I got one last thing to do."

She took the knife and slashed at me. I stepped back but I lost my balance. I lied on the ground looking back at Kotone. She had the biggest smile in the whole world.

"Kirito is mine, and I will do whatever it takes to make him mine," she said.

She spiked the knife in my direction but it missed a couple of inches from my face.

"Damn, my eye is foggy. Don't worry though Asuna, this one will go through," she laughed.

I stared at her with fear.

"Is this how I die?" I thought.

I closed my eyes and braced for the pain.

"Die you!" Kotone screamed.

Then I heard something hit a car. I opened my eyes and found a woman standing above me with her arm extended.

"Hey Asuna," she greeted.

The voice sounded so familiar, but who was it.

"My debt is paid," she said.

"Ichika?" I gasped.

She nodded.

"But how did you find me?" I asked.

"Patient records. After you got through the guardians, I looked up Kirito on patient records and found him here," she explained.

Kotone screamed and attempted to jab Ichika. A boy came up behind her and managed to stop the attempt. Ichika pointed at the door of the hospital.

"Go Asuna, get out of here," she ordered.

"Thank you," I said.

I ran over to the hospital and saw someone at the reception. The lady at the desk noticed the blood coming from my hand.

"Are you okay?" she asked while running over to me.

"There's someone in the parking lot trying to kill my friends," I told her.

The lady ran up to the nearest phone.

"Code Silver in the parking lot," she said on the intercom.

A guard bolted out of the lobby doors into the parking lot. A couple of doctors came in after and treated my wound. I staggered out of the lobby and into an elevator. I arrived on Floor 16 and I slowly ambled over to room 1617. I opened the door and walked up to the curtain.

"Go in there. He's waiting for you," a voice encouraged me.

I extended my arm and I pulled back the curtain. He sat there looking out at the night sky.

"Kirito," I cried.

He looked over at me and smiled.

"Asuna," he whispered.

I moved over to Kirito and I sat on his hospital bed. I reached out and embraced him. He looked at my arm and found my knife wound.

"It's over, I fought the last battle," I whispered.

"I know what it feels like," he responded.

I let go of him for a few moments.

"Finally, I get to meet you," I said.

"I'm Kazuto, Kazuto Kirigaya and I'm finally back," he started.

"I'm Asuna...Asuna Yuuki, welcome home Kazuto."

I reached over and kissed him.