Chapter 1: Escape From SAO

Asuna's POV

<Aincrad>

<November 7, 2024>

I was staring out into the bright orange sky. Then, I heard a familiar chime behind me. I turned around and I saw a figure in a black coat.

"Kirito?" I asked.

The figure turned around and I saw him.

"I'm sorry. I guess I ended up dying too," he smiled.

"Dummy."

I ran into Kirito's arms and we kissed each other. We held each other for a few precious moments. I grabbed Kirito's left hand and faced towards the sunset.

"Where are we? Do you know?" he asked.

I pointed down at Aincrad. We gazed down and we saw Aincrad crumbling down into the cloud covered void under it. I looked further and I saw our house on Floor 22. It was a shame I had to see that fall. All of that time with Kirito lost to the void.

"A stunning view isn't it?" a voice stated.

I looked to my right and see a man in a white lab coat looking down at Aincrad.

"Akihiko Kayaba," Kirito said.

"At Argus headquarters, the SAO mainframe is in a room five floors below street level. And right now, it's deleting all the data from its drives. In about 10 minutes, everything in this world will disappear forever," Kayaba explained.

"And all of the players? What happens to them?" I asked.

"You don't have to worry about them. The 6147 players that have survived the game up to now were logged out seconds ago," Kayaba answered.

"And what about the 4000 people who died? What about them?"

"They'll never return. In any world, real or virtual, once you're dead, you're gone."

"Why? What's the point? Why did you do this?" Kirito asked.

"That's a good question. It's been so long that I've forgotten the reason. Isn't that strange? Even before I developed the system for the full-dive environment, I dreamed of this. A castle in the world that wasn't governed by earthly laws and restrictions. I poured my life into making that world a reality. I created this world and I got to see something that surpassed anything I could've imagined for it."

Kayaba faced towards us.

"My steel castle floating in the sky. I don't remember how old I was when I became obsessed with it. I wanted to leave the earth," Kayaba explained, "I wanted to leave the earth, to fly to that castle. I wanted that more than anything else for as long as I can remember. You know what Kirito, I want to believe it's still out there. That somewhere in some other world, my castle is still standing taller than ever."

"Yeah, maybe it still is," Kirito said.

I looked down at Aincrad again. Everything was starting to fall victim to the void.

"Before I forget, congratulations on completing the game, Kirito, Asuna. Well then, I should probably get going now," Kayaba finished.

Kayaba walked away from us and disappeared into a cloud. I walked down to the edge of the floating platform and sat down with my legs dangling over the edge. Kirito joined me. He leaned over and gave me a kiss.

"Guess this is goodbye," Kirito said.

I shook my head.

"This isn't goodbye at all. We're going to be together when we finally disappear. So we're going to be together forever," I disagreed, "Hey, you never told me your real name. Could you please tell me before we go?"

"Kazuto, Kazuto Kirigaya, and last month, I turned 16," he answered.

"Kazuto Kirigaya," I chuckled, "So you're younger than me. I'm Asuna Yuuki, I'm 17 now."

"Asuna Yuuki...Asuna Yuuki."

Kirito started to cry.

"I'm sorry...I'm sorry. I swore I promised that I'd save you. Get you back to the real world. But I...I couldn't," he blubbered.

I started to tear up as well.

"It's okay. It's okay. I'm so glad I got to meet you Kazuto. And to be with you. And to live with you. This is the happiest I've ever been in my whole life. Thank you for that," I cried.

Kazuto reaches over and hugged me. I move my arms and hug him back. Everything was filled with a white void.

"I love you. So very much," I whispered.

I woke up in a hospital room. A bright light came from a window to the left of me. I remembered my time in SAO and memories of me and Kirito filled my mind.

"Kirito," I thought.

I pushed myself into a sitting position. I took off my Nerve Gear rig and my chestnut hair fell down. I looked around the hospital room and reached for the IV pole near my bed. I pulled myself up from the bed and I finally stood up on my own 2 feet after 2 years. I gingerly walked to the exit of the hospital room. All that was going through my mind is to find Kirito again.

------------------------------------------------

The chapters are going to be shorter than usual. The novel is based on a novel with the same name by Iamspartasking. However, he or she did not finish it and I thought it would be best to finish the book for them. I don't intend on copyright infringement on my end. 

Support the original writers. Support Reki Kawahara and iamspartasking.

From, the author.