Chapter 20 - Executioner

Start from the beginning

"Oh, uh..." I turned around to see the man I had met yesterday, the one who was told to take me from the barn. "Who are you meant to be with?"

His eyes were cautious, looking at me with what looked to be curiosity.

"Andrea. I-I can't find her," I stuttered, the shock of being caught glaring at Daryl's weapons threw me out of thought. I hope he didn't think I was snooping, even though it probably looked that way.

"She might be outside. I'd check the RV." He shrugged, making his way towards a backpack on the table. He quickly threw it over his huge shoulder. This guy was about the same size as Shane, except maybe shorter.

And yet, they couldn't have made a more different impression.

"You can come with me, I guess. I'm just loading the truck." He nodded to a small handgun on the table. I quickly picked it up, and handed it to him softly, being aware not to set the gun off. I had no idea why I was so weary around those things, but every time I saw a gun, I'd shrink back a little.

"Okay," I said quietly, feeling extremely nervous.

I felt so out of my depth as he nodded for me to follow him.

We went out through the side door, that led to the opposite side of the same porch as Daryl and Rick.

A faded blue pick-up was parked by the door, the back of the vehicle already partially filled with an assortment of different bags and equiptment. Most noticeably Daryl's crossbow.

As we walked out of the door, the man pointed to a small red can of petrol that sat alone by the stairs.

"Can you get that for me?" He asked quietly, his voice more of a mumble as he shoved the backpack in the corner of the tray.

I quickly picked up the can, or attempted to, as it was particularly heavy. I wasn't expecting all of that weight, so I fell back a bit, before bending over to pick it back up.

"Jesus wept... You're lurkin' everywhere I turn." Daryl's familiar growl muttered from across the silent porch.

Still gripping the can, I whipped around to see his annoyed face from across the truck.

"Me?" I asked, looking quickly to the other man, who was still holding the handgun I'd passed him only a minute before.

I didn't get a reply, whatever sharp comment from Daryl had to wait, as the man made his way towards him, with gun in hand.

"Only got so many arrows." The man muttered, passing Daryl the small revolver. I was guessing he was referring to the crossbow, and the fact that a gun would technically be more efficient.

Daryl dropped the bottle of water he was placing into the truck, taking the gun from his outstretched hand.

"Is that Dale's gun?" He asked, examining the firearm.

I stumbled towards the back of the truck, the petrol in the can sloshing around as I heaved it over the side of the tray. I tried not to make it look like I was listening to their conversation, even though the mention of Dale had bought my attention.

"Yeah," The stranger sighed, sounding dismal.

Daryl shoved the gun under his belt, where I figured he kept all of his weapons.

I wondered whether or not I should continue looking for Andrea, as Rick strolled up he the truck too.

I didn't want to be caught in whatever was happening, I already knew that I was treading thin ice as it was, just for being involved with Randall.