Chapter 38 - Backup

"We're going to need as much able-bodied people with us inside the fence as we can manage." Rick turned back from where he was staring at the populated courtyard on the other side of the gate. "The rest need to be on the outside... To distract the walkers if things get, if they get out of hand."

The entire group were standing in front of the inner gate, watching as a group of roamers in blue jumpsuits aimlessly wandered about. The space was huge, with concrete floors and buildings on either side of the small area of space.

It was overwhelming to say the least, looking through at the large amount of roamers that were situated just on the other side of this thin wire fence. They were everywhere, snarling and groaning and walking around as though they could smell us, just not see us.

There was so much space to cover. I had no idea how they were going to cope with all of those roamers at one time.

"I know everyone's tired, sore..." Rick looked around at our faces, at the beads of sweat that seemed to dribble down foreheads... Especially T-Dog's, who was constantly wiping at sweat from beside me. "But look here... This is ours for the taking, this is..."

My eyes wandered back down to my feet, not caring much for Rick's little pep talks.

"When we secure this building, we can rest," Rick murmured, his eyes landing on his wife's tired face.

I began to slowly fan my face with my hand, only to feel no effect of the wind to cool my heated skin.

"We're gonna need people who are prepared to fight inside the fence... So, Daryl, T-Dog, Maggie... Glenn."

He paused again, looking over his shoulder again at the large group of roamers, before turning back.

"Carol, are you okay to...?" Rick asked, not quite finishing his sentence when he saw Carol's exhausted expression.

"I don't think so... Not today," Carol replied, lifting her head at the mention of her name. "My shoulder's killing me, and hand-to-hand isn't gonna be easy with one arm."

Rick nodded shortly, looking disappointed as he began to rethink his plan.

Only seconds later, his head lifted to stare me directly in the eyes.

"You've been practising with those knives of yours all winter." He observed, as I immediately began shaking my head. "You don't have to get close."

"I can't," I muttered, shying away as numerous faces turned to watch me reply, "I haven't used them like that on a roamer before."

"Look," Rick breathed, taking a short step forward so he could stare straight at me. I instantly shied away from his hands as they landed on my shoulders. "I'm not saying you're going to be taking out walkers left, right and centre... Just stick to the back, and only take them out when you absolutely need to."

So what? He just wanted me there as a backup?

I was surprisingly okay with that.

"Don't screw it up this time." Rick added, his eyes serious even though what he'd said could have been taken as a joke to those around us. Maybe it was just he and I who found this to be a bit more serious.

"We stay in formation... A tight circle," Rick stated, his fingers gripping at the fence. "Don't break that circle unless we all need to, and don't go off on your own unless you're surrounded... Which won't be likely."

I nodded slowly, even though he wasn't watching. It was more for my benefit than for his... I was just trying to gain some courage before we stepped through that gate and into the home of deceased criminals, soon to be our home.