Chapter 43 - The Infirmary

Alone, I slowly walked back into the cells, my eyes following my feet as they made their heavy steps towards the voices inside.

I was annoyed, and that annoyance carried through in my heavy stride as I stormed into the main section of the building.

The only thing I could focus on doing was not going back out there and stomping on Daryl's toes in my evident anger. Somehow he always managed to get on my nerves in one way or another.

"Rick?" Carol's voice called from the second cell in.

I let out a slow breath.

"They're all outside at the moment." I said, looking at Carl, who stood beside the barred door. I followed my way towards the cell, before stopping on the opposite side of this door, peeping my head in.

The smell of blood was strong, mingled in with the humidity of sweat and heavy breaths from almost everyone inside this muggy, putrid cell.

Lori and Carol were knelt in front of the bed, Carol tending to Hershel's ... stump, whilst Lori continued to dab at his head with a towel dampened with the dirt water.

Beth was nuzzled into Maggie's side behind them, whimpering quietly as Hershel's ghostly pale face remained neutral.

"How's he doing?" I asked, not daring to breathe through my nose.

Carol raised her head, "I'm not sure how exactly to answer that, if I'm honest..." She then lowered her eyes back to the wound, "It's not looking great."

A small sound left Beth's lips, whilst Maggie soothed her by stroking the girl's blonde hair.

"What's happening out there?" Lori asked, her bloodied hand still pressed against Hershel's clammy forehead.

"I don't know... There's a bunch of prisoners, and they're all demanding to come in here. Came from the cafeteria... Or something."

Maggie shuffled slightly, smoothing her hand over Beth's forehead again. "Yeah, they're from the cafeteria."

"And what? They're staying? Leaving?" Lori pressed.

"I don't know. I doubt Daryl, Rick and T-Dog would be too happy sharing a home with some dude who just pulled a gun on us."

"Who did?" Lori snapped her head upwards.

"He didn't pull a gun on Rick or anything, Lori." I said coldly, "Just li'l old me, and Daryl."

I swallowed back another attachment to that snarky comment, as Lori's stare sharpened.

Carol also looked up, seeming confused by the iciness that frosted from my comment. Maggie, however, didn't seem too fazed.

Then again, I was sure almost every person in the group had one argument or another with this woman.

"Sorry," I breathed, "I'm sorry..."

I knew why I was so annoyed, my mood had immediately decreased as soon as Daryl unleashed his sharp insults. I had hoped those days were over. However, I kept this thought to myself.

"They're oblivious... These prisoners." I gulped, "Barely even knew about anything, didn't realise everything they'd lost until now."

"Are they dangerous?" Lori asked.

"I don't really know, I guess I'd have to know them better to decide on that. Learn it the hard way right? 'Shoot first, ask questions later' gets nobody nowhere."

Lori lowered her eyes again.

"Sorry." I muttered.

"It's fine."