Chapter 1 - The Bar

"Of course Dave and Tony are gonna be at the bar," Sean snorted. He was in the passenger seat of our silver four-wheeled drive. Lewis nodded, gripping the steering wheel tightly. "Bev said they would be."

"It's getting late. The roamers are gonna start swarming in. We grab them, and then run back to the car," He declared. Lewis had always been the most level-headed in our group, a total opposite to Sean.

It was my first real trip out to town, and so far we hadn't seen a single roamer in the area. It had been eerily quiet, the moon slowly creeping up as we drove our way along the main road. My brother, Dave, had always been a big drinker.

"You might even get your first kill, Ames." Randall shoved my arm jokingly from beside me.

Only Dave called me that, since it was a pet name that only my family and friends called me.

I wouldn't call Randall a friend.

I didn't reply, giving him a short smile before turning back to the window. Or, what was left of the window. The glass had been smashed out when we found the car, the keys switched off in the ignition.

It was what we'd call a lucky find. Most cars we found those days were either occupied by a corpse, or out of petrol.

The cool night air calmed my heated skin; the pressure of my first visit to town had been particularly worrying since Dave hadn't taught me how to use my weapon properly.

"Just pull the trigger," He had said. I looked down at the rifle beside me.

There were at least three possible "triggers".

Usually I would've stayed home at camp, but lately it had been somewhere I would like to avoid.

There were a few gunshots, distant, but still loud enough for us to hear.

"Probably ran into some roamers." Lewis shook his head. "Tony needs to learn to kill silently. Always shooting up anything he can find."

The car slowed to a stop, outside a grubby old bar. I took this time to peer out the non-existent windows. We were parked in an empty main road, with three buildings. Sure enough, on the opposite side of the road, was the pharmacy Dave and Tony were meant to be in.

Sean jumped out immediately, taking his handgun with him. I remained inside the car with Randall, as Lewis began to follow Sean to the door. They quickly glanced around for any roamers.

"Dave? Tony?" Sean was the first to call out. He was quiet, cautious.

It was silent. An eerie kind of silence. Randall didn't say anything; instead he fiddled with the strap on his gun.

"They said over here?" Lewis asked again.

"Yeah." Sean nodded, his handgun raised in suspicion. I stuck my head out of the car window, so I could see their faces.

"I'm telling you man, I heard shots." Lewis began to panic. So much for his level-headedness. I knew Dave would be alright. Tony, I wasn't so sure about.

He was a big man, almost always covered from head to toe in some sort of grease. I had been very suspicious when Tony volunteered to scout for medicine with my brother, splitting from the group.

Looking back on it, I should've known the two would've ended up in the bar across the road from the pharmacy. Men like Tony always affected Dave's decisions like that.

"I saw roamers, two streets over. Might be more around here." Sean looked around again, gulping silently.

"We gotta get out of here," Lewis stated, turning back to the car. I shook my head at him.