Chapter 23: Mission

Start from the beginning

"I made a promise to myself... that someday, when I found someone I cared about enough... I would pass on the coin." He gave you a soft smile, "[F/N]... I know it might sound stupid... but I want you to have it."

"I-I can't take this..." You replied, "It's too important."

"It's for good luck," Connor murmured, giving you a slight smile. He gently took your hand, and curled your fingers around the coin. "Think of it as a charm. To help you forget the bad moments... and remember the good ones."

"Thank you..." You replied, unable to stop the warmth of the moment spreading through yourself. You could tell that that coin meant a great deal to Connor. The fact that he would pass it onto you made you overwhelmingly happy.

As you gazed at Connor, his smile faded slightly. He continued to look into your eyes, as if he was staring through you. When he looked at you, it was as if he understood you entirely. He reached towards you, touching the side of your face, then trailing his hand down the side of your jaw. You leaned into his touch instinctively. You could not look away from him, but you did not want to. You were both lost in this moment, your hands touching, and your faces inches apart.

You leaned closer to Connor, entranced by his gentle hands. Your heart fluttered slightly, and you wondered if Connor could hear the steady beat.

Suddenly, the door swung open. You and Connor flew apart, your face immediately turning red.

"Hey Connor, the pizza's here," Hank said, standing in the doorway. As he stood there, he looked from you to Connor.

"Jesus, haven't you heard of knocking?!" Connor objected, crossing his arms and scowling, his face turning red.

"Well I had to make sure you kids weren't doing anything... uhh..." At Connor's glare, Hank trailed off, scratching the back of his head. You finally took in his appearance, and noticed how disheveled he seemed. His beard was getting overgrown, and he was wearing a hoodie with 'Detroit Police Academy' imprinted on it, with an old pair of faded jeans.

"Anyway, there's food downstairs. Enough for your girlfriend too if she's staying for dinner."

"S-She's not my, ummm..." Connor trailed off, the blush on his face increasing. "W-We'll be there soon."

After that interruption, Connor remained quiet. You helped him tidy up the games you left strewn on the floor, before you followed him into the dining room. Hank was already there, setting out the boxes of pizza on the table. Connor sat on one of the faded chairs, and you followed his lead, moving to sit beside him. Seeing your teacher like this brought a pain to your heart.

"Are you working anywhere else at the moment?" You asked, and Connor glanced at you, his eyes telling you not to go there. But you wanted to know. Hank sighed, leaning back into his chair as he ate the pizza.

"Not right now, but Jeffrey said there may be an opening for me to teach the younger years..."

You waited for him to continue, but he did not. You did not want to consider Hank teaching the younger classes. You could imagine that it reminded him of Cole.

"I'll find a way for you to get your old job back," You insisted, "Mr Perkin's is a terrible teacher. We need you."

"I wish it were that easy..." Hank mumbled, "But if you can somehow make magic happen... then that would impress even me."

After that, all conversation fell silent. You ate pizza, trying to ignore the lump in your throat. You could see now that Connor's family life had been difficult. Ever since the beginning, Connor had tried to keep everyone together. He tried to get along with Cain, and his mother. He tried to comfort his father after Cole's death. It was clear to you now that Connor was always doing what everyone else wanted. He seemed to believe that the one who kept his family together was Cole. But really, the final puzzle piece had truly been Connor all along.