Girlfriends and Realizations (Tsukkiyama)

You never saw one without the other. It just didn't look right if you did see them apart. They were always together.

You never saw the moon without the stars glittering beside it, you never saw the stars without the moon bringing attention to them.

You never saw Tsukishima without Yamaguchi by his side, laughing and snorting at every stupid salty quip, every jab at someone, every bad joke.

You never saw Yamaguchi without Tsukishima looming somewhere nearby like a powerful, protective presence, like he was daring you to say something mean or bad towards the freckled boy.

They were a pair, the stars and the moon, the moon and the stars. Yamaguchi and Tsukishima, Tsukishima and Yamaguchi.

So when the two started to spend less and less time together, when Yamaguchi started to smile less and less, when he started to lose his dependably sweet personality, when Tsukishima started to lose his salt, when he started to not talk at all, everyone noticed, even Kageyama and Hinata.

The first years stopped hanging around each other in pairs, instead Tsukishima stopped showing up around them and Yamaguchi was like a third member of the Hinata and Kageyama team, something neither boy had a problem with, they both liked Yamaguchi.

The thing they were worried about was the fact that Yamaguchi was no longer smiling, he wasn't laughing, he was sulking, he was silent and . . . depressed even.

The freak duo had started calling Yamaguchi 'Tadashi', but they felt that it wasn't their place to ask what was going on.

They didn't even bother asking Tsukishima. They knew the kind of response they were going to get from the blond, if they got a response at all.

After a while though, they decided that asking the boys would be worth the risk.

Yamaguchi just gave them a tired smile and told them that it was nothing to worry about.

Tsukishima had flat out told them that it was none of their goddamn business and told them to go shove their oversize noses into the nearest pile of shit.

This spilt up pair didn't really effect their practices, though tensions were high. Yamaguchi no longer panicked from the sidelines about Tsukishima, not verbally anyway, and Tsukishima never gave Yamaguchi the attention that he used to. Instead, he was glued to his phone, something that wouldn't have been all that unnatural save for the fact that Noya had caught Tsukishima texting a girl.

Suga and Daichi had been trying to get Tsukishima and Tadashi to spill about what was wrong, but so far, they hadn't had any luck, no one had, and it was starting to get to the rest of them.

Everything boiled over four months after the start of the weirdness, when they found out why Tsukishima and Yamaguchi had stopped hanging out.

Kageyama, Hinata, and Yamaguchi were on their way to their classes, Hinata and his taller setter were dropping Tadashi off at his class when they saw a certain salty blond kissing a girl in in the doorway of the classroom.

And it wasn't the friendly peck on the cheek or something along those lines. It was full blown lip-lock.

"So that's the rumored girlfriend," Hinata said, crossing his arms. "She cute, I suppose, don't you think Tadashi?"

"Hinata," Kageyama murmured, trying to give Hinata a hint as he watched Yamaguchi.

"Tadashi, don't you think she's cute? Though I don't see why she's attracted to that asshole-"

"Hinata," Kageyama said, a bit more forcefully, watching Yamaguchi.

"Wh-" Hinata stopped when he saw the line of Kageyama's gaze. He'd been ready to argue with his best friend but then Hinata stopped dead in his tracks, going completely still at the sight he was witnessing.