Chapter XIV ✠ Cut to the Bone

Start from the beginning

"I've seen a multitude of large and grotesque spiders on that wall, but nothing to the likes of this! And a noisy spider at that!" He laughed, putting the lamp down.

Una seized. Her cheeks became flush, and she felt embarrassed standing there in a sheer silk dress in front of him. He was not very well covered either. He was wearing a thigh-length loose tunic with no pants.

"Um, I can explain." Una laughed back as she crouched down to get off the cabinet.

"What are you doing crawling around at this hour, and for shears?" He laughed, folding his arms looking at Una as she dropped down off the counter.

"I have to take of business, of a personal nature," Una said, bunching up the end of her hair in her hand.

"You're a few years behind, aren't you?" He smirked.

"Oh, hush your tongue! You know it is for the best." Una laughed.

"Well, if you insist, make sure you shine up your armor too!" He smiled.

"Already done," Una said as she twirled her hair in her hands.

Yvar gazed down at Una's hair again.

"Hmm, you should go with the Viking look. I think you'll blend right in. The reverse mullet, perhaps?" Yvar laughed, trying to make light of the grim situation of potential war.

"It just needs to be short enough where they won't be able to drag me off my horse like a fish out of water." Una laughed.

"You remember?" Una added, laughing, dropping her hair and waving the shears in front of him.

"That was a rough battle. I think I recall, but I was too busy digging an arrow out of my arse. I didn't have my leathers on." He laughed.

"I don't think anyone had their armor on. We were woken up as sudden as a birthing pang. I think that's the most we've ever been scared up." Una smiled, walking away.

"At least we don't have any scars on our face." He laughed, grabbing an apple behind him.

"Not yet." Una winked as she left.

"Slumber well!" Una waved as she walked out of the kitchen.

"Wait, Una!" Yvar called out.

Una turned and watched Yvar sprint out in the hall with that apple in one hand and the lamp in the other.

"Are you going to be doing this now?" He asked.

Una smiled in delight and crossed her arms.

"Well, are you coming to watch, or are you going to help me, Yvar?" She laughed.

Yvar grinned, and he walked up closer.

"Only if you can crop mine a tad too." He nodded.

Una felt delighted that he was willing to assist her, and they began to walk back to Una's chambers.

"I'll see about that reverse mullet you speak highly of. Perhaps I'll use you as my model?" Una laughed sarcastically as she grabbed the lamp out of Yvar's hand.

"An excellent strategy if we were to encounter them on the way to the Dane lands accidentally." He mocked in a whisper.

"Yes, I shall add a forked beard too." Una laughed, opening up her door.

"But I have no beard." Yvar laughed, gently shutting the door behind him.

"Soon enough, I think we will both have one if we make it through this." Una laughed, pulling him a chair out.