Chapter 11: Heart Does Go On

Start from the beginning

She stood for at least 10 minutes, her patience wavering with every passing second. At last, she thought as she was handed over 5 bloody cookies. Thanking the cook in front of her, she turned to return to the table when she heard someone call out her name. But before she could respond, or even look in the voice's direction, she heard a whisper in her ear,

"This is payback."

Ray turned around, her eyes glinting dangerously as she felt something hot slash against her lower back. She didn't as much gasp at the sudden hot pain and turned around, only to be greeted by a very amused Bianca Smith. She was smirking, her eyes upon hers and her hands resting against her hip.

Ray clenched her teeth but willed herself to not show any emotion, as Bianca held a half-filled cup of coffee. She was reachable, Ray thought, her palms forming fists and her legs holding their stance. She could take her down. But as Ray's eyes roamed she realised with irritation that the whole cafeteria was now dead silent. Everyone waited for her reaction, their attention only fixated on her. She would give them nothing.

Instead, she did what she thought was best in this situation. She removed her jacket and tied it across her waist, hiding the stain on her jeans and her shirt but showing the unhealed and uncovered wound on her hand. Bianca's eyes widened as her eyes made contact with the dark wound and Ray knew, that she was afraid. The girl could be an accomplice but she had no idea what Raylene Walker was capable of. Gasps and shouts were heard as everyone saw the cut, but no one dared speak up their mind. Ray was a wild card here and no one knew if she was in the right or the wrong.

But Ray kept her eyes on Bianca, ignoring everything and everyone else. Bianca frowned and sighed in annoyance as Ray showed no emotion, her surprise dying away immediately. She looked down into her cup and smirked. Within a second her hand was moving and the hot coffee was thrown in her direction. Ray stepped back without any problems and she saw as the coffee sprayed all over the ground. Her rage spiking now, she turned towards the food counter and smiled at the lady inside. The lady smiled back at her in confusion, her eyes betraying her as she saw the students move slightly away from Ray.

"Can I have a coffee please?" She whispered, not bothered by the fact that some people busy were running away from her. She was used to it.

The lady handed her a cup and turned around to call the teachers in the facility to diffuse the situation. No need for that, Ray thought as she took the cup in her hand and thanked the gods for it being cold. She didn't want to burn Bianca. If she did, she would have a larger price to pay, and a whole lot of troubles to sort through. She walked towards Bianca and without giving her a chance to react she poured the coffee over her, drenching her from head to toe. Ray kept the cup on Bianca's head and took a step back, eyeing her masterpiece. That was when she leaned forward and showed Bianca her actual rage,

"I thought I told you to stay away from me." she said, her voice quiet yet menacing, "Don't make me repeat myself." and with that, Ray took another step away from her and let out a tired sigh.

The whole cafeteria was no longer dead silent, the silence broken for a few whispers, for a few words. Ray didn't have the heart to leave her like that, knowing that Bianca was not worth her efforts. Walking towards the food counter again she talked to Mrs Johnson.

Ray turned around in a while, a white towel lying in her hands. She walked towards Bianca whose eyes were suspicious of Ray's unexpected gesture. In their world, every action held a meaning. Every gesture held a favour. This time, Ray would go for the favour.

She handed the towel to Bianca and said, "Don't forget this." she warned, "I don't like to hurt people Bianca. That's your job." she whispered, knowing those who might hear might find her merciless, but she hadn't known life with mercy.