Chapter 29: The Truth | Part I

Start from the beginning

I don't cry. Especially, I don't cry in front of my mate. I blink, hard, and have to swallow before I can speak.

"What," I ask quietly, "what comes next?"

Orion takes a deep breath. He knows what I mean.

"First," he murmurs, and it sounds a little like an apology, "my parents would like to meet you."

My heart thunders in my chest. I have to focus very hard to keep myself from accidentally crumpling the paper in my hand.

"What do they know?" I ask weakly.

Orion winces.

"They know we're mates," he says, "they've known since the ball. That's why they allowed me to be so involved with your case. I've managed to keep them from bothering you, but -"

Orion trails off, but I know how it ends. But now that I've agreed to really be his mate.

"Of course I'll meet them," I say, swallowing the anxiety in my throat. "I told you, I'm all in."

I was expecting this, but when I think of my track record with parents, I cringe. My own parents - that didn't work out very well. And then, really, other than that, I've only met Elia's parents - and that didn't work out very well, either.

"You don't need to be worried," he whispers, "I mean, they can't hate you more than your parents hate me, right?"

We wince together, and I can see him thinking about how much more reassuring that sounded in his head.

"I mean," he begins again, "that it will be fine."

I fill my lungs with air. I look down at the crinkled letter on my hands, and I think about how much everything has changed.

"Alpha," A voice sounds from the other side of the door. It startles me so much that I jump.

"One moment," Orion replies, his eyes still pinned on me, concerned.

"The Alpha has asked for you," the voice continues.

Orion huffs.

"It's okay," I say quickly, "I - I'll let you get back to work."

Orion takes a breath in and holds it, like he's trying to decide something.

"Lee," Orion says, all at once, like he's afraid he'll change his mind, "have you ever been up on the roofs?"

I wasn't expecting this question. "Uh. No?"

"Your highness," the voice calls again. Orion glances at the door, exasperated, before his gaze returns to me. Haltingly, he places a hand on my upper arm.

"Tonight," he promises, "we'll talk tonight."

I nod, holding the letter like a lifeline.

-

At first, I run to my room, feeling that if I didn't read the letter right now, I would explode. But then the door clicks shut behind me, and the air stills, and I re-read the opening Dear Lee until I feel tears building in my throat. And suddenly it feels that, by reading this letter, I would be declaring Elia actually dead. These are her last words.

I carefully place the letter on the bed. It falls with peculiar weight.

My eyes shift to a small spot on the carpet, a slightly discolored patch of dirt. Tentatively, I lean down, rubbing at it. But it doesn't come out.

And then I am halfway to the cleaning cabinet downstairs, where they keep all of the supplies, and my body is so alight with anxiety that it's like my skeleton is glowing. I receive several stares from the maids and assistants rushing through the area, and double-takes from a dishwasher that worked next to my sink. My cheeks burn, but I keep my head low. I've already come this far. Quickly, I grab some cleaning supplies - anything that I can hold with my hands - and turn to go back to my room.