The Dragon & Her Freedom

"Mother? Mother!" As Edgar and Elbi ran towards their sick mother; Livella, Edgar had a present behind his back, feeling fidgety giving it to her. "Here! This is for you. I really hope you enjoy it mother." After a toothy grin, Elbi than proceeded in giving her mother a necklace with a sapphire gem.
"This should help you with your health, mother. I enchanted it while also mixing my healing powers to it." After they bowed slightly, their mother chuckled while hugging the two in unison.
"Thank you both, but you really needn't get me anything."
"We know, but we figured we should anyways." Edgar blushed with a smile, scratching the side of his forehead. "I'm supposed to meet father at the training grounds, so I must leave now." Once Edgar gave his sister Elbi and his mother a kiss on the head goodbye, he started to sprint down the hall and towards the training grounds.
Bowing goodbye at her mother to recover, Elbi walked around the Palace when she saw a tallish black haired male dusting the paintings that were hung on the wall. A smile instantly brightening Elbi's face. "Norvan!!" Running towards the boy --who was no more than fifteen-- she suddenly tripped on her dress; her face colliding against the marble floor.
"Eblisaria!" As the boy ran towards the fourteen year old Elbi, he helped her up when he saw unshed tears glossing her eyes. Sighing, he looked around to make sure no one was around, when he saw the coast was clear, he lightly hit her on the head. "Idiot, you should've been more careful and watch where you were going."
Crossing his arms angrily, the young Elbi sniffled wiping her nose on the sleeves of her dress. "I-I know, but I was just happy t-to see you. I haven't saw you in a while." Coughing to keep the lump in her throat from forming, her gaze stayed on the ground.
With another sigh leaving his lips, he patted the young maiden's head. "Just be more careful, milady. If you need me and have the sudden urge to run, at least pull your dress up above your ankles so you don't trip on your dress again."
With a nod, the young Elbi rubbed her eye before smiling brightly at him. "I understand, but please stop calling me "milady'." She huffed her cheeks in annoyance. "You know how much I hate it." She stated with a blank stare, smiling again after a moment.
With a small smile appearing on his face, he nodded. "I must get back to my duty's now, or else your father will have my head." He joked. But as for Elbi, she gulped as she placed her hand over her throat; knowing how capable her father was of doing such a thing.
With a nervous smile, she nodded. "O-of course, I'll see you later." As she hurriedly walked away, she bumped into Edgar and gasped when she saw his face. "W-what happen to you?" She stared at his once white hair now a pinkish red.
Tearing her gaze away from his hair and onto his bruised face, she lifted her hand to touch his cheek when he suddenly slapped it away gently, smiling at Elbi as he spoke. "I'm fine..Father was trying to teach me proper ways to block and defend myself." He motioned with his eyes at the few maids that walked by.
Elbi looked down and ignored the maids, giving a look of despair as she cringed. "Are you sure you're alright?" As Edgar continued to try and convince Elbi, she knew he wasn't okay. But she pulled her best fake smile and she giggled. "Okay! You're heading to the infirmary though, right? I'll walk you there. Besides, it'll be a lot easier to heal you." Edgar complained while Elbi dismissed his whining, grabbing him by the arm as she dragged him by force.

*~Four Years Later~*

"Now introducing, the new Queen of Nuages; Lady Fabula and her daughter, Princess Astriana." The coronation party went on for several more hours, Elbi hiding herself in her room under her bed, while gripping her mothers necklace Elbi had made for her years ago.
With a knock from the door, she tensed until her nerves calmed down after hearing a familiar safe voice. "Elbi? Are you okay?" Norvan asked as he entered the room closing the door behind him. Elbi's scoff indicated where we she was, Norvan crawling under the bed to see her back to him.
"Of course I'm not. How would you feel if your parent got remarried without telling their own kid--and instead, expects them to get over the death of another." Elbi spoke with venom seeping her words, curling herself up in a fetal position.
Norvan sighed, laying next to Elbi with his arm supporting his head. "I know it's hard, but you'll get through it."
Scoffing again with a dark chuckle, Elbi stated deadpan. "I won't get through this. I can't forgive him for what that monster had done to her." Moving her head slightly behind her shoulders, Elbi didn't stare into Norvan's cherry like eyes as she spoke, instead, she stared up at the bottom of her bed. "He didn't even bother going to the funeral. I suppose that shows how much he really cared for her in the end. Matter of fact, it shows how much she was really worth his time." She spat angrily, laying her tired head against the rug floor again.
Looking at the eighteen year old in front of him, Norvan started running his fingers through her hair in an attempt to calm her tense posture. "Some people deal with grief in many ways."
Sighing annoyed at his lack of understanding, she snuggled closer into his warmth, her body cold to the bone from her excessive crying. "You don't get it Norvan. He's not grieving because he lost a wife--a partner. He's annoyed because he lost an important tool who couldn't handle him anymore." Biting her lip to keep her tears from being heard, Elbi sniffled. "I just...I don't know what to do anymore. When Edgar was here, I was okay for the most part because he would--." Biting her lip, Elbi stopped herself from thinking of what she did to him, and how betrayed he must've felt.
Elbi turned around after she sighed, hugging the nineteen year old boy who hugged her back. "It's been four years since we abandoned him, and less than half a year since my mothers death. I was still protected because of my mom and didn't get lots of beatings thanks to her. B-but now that sh-she's gone." Sighing heavily at her words, Elbi buried her face against Norvan's soldier uniform when he held her closer.
"I know. You don't have to tell me, I already understand." Smiling sadly, Norvan sighed again at her shaking figure, knowing that this wasn't from her crying. But from fear towards her father. "I promise, I'll try my best to keep you safe. I won't let you get hurt again."
Smiling not at all confident by his words, Norvan started to rub her back which helped calm her down. "Stupid. Don't make promises you can't keep." Lightly laughing together, Elbi felt secured for the most part. After a moment of silence, Elbi smiled sincerely at him. "Thank you for being a brother to me."
Returning the smile to her, he flicked her forehead and earned a yelp. "Of course. I've known you since we were little, you know I'll always be here."