How to be a big brother

Start from the beginning

Steve waves a hand to the air, dismissively. "Ain't worried about any of that."

I let out a deep breath, and stretch as I get up from my stool to clean up.

"I'm going to make sure the station isn't a mess."

Steve got up following behind me.

"We don't HAVE to clean up."

I threw him a glower, before gathering our garbage, and heading around the store to throw them out.

"Stop being a bum and help me."

we worked together to pick the trash up, and cleaning of our table from the leaked Pepsi I spilled earlier.

"Take the bottle."

"No, you take it."

We fought over the garbage, tossing it back and forth, eventually playing around with it.
When Steve abruptly stopped, I got worried.

"Hey Soda," Steve tapped me on the shoulder.

"Yes?"

"Isn't Ponyboy supposed to be in school?"

I gave him a weird look, racking my brain. "Yes?"

"What's he doing over here then."
Steve pointed to Ponyboy who appeared to be sprinting towards us, with a glassy look in his eyes.

What was Pony doing here? He's supposed to be in school?

I dropped the Pepsi bottle, jogging towards him as he approached us.

Was my baby brother ditching?

"Hey, Ponyboy." I smile as I approach him. Immediately I see red flags, but I ignore them. I'm just being overly cautious.

"Did you run here? Arent, you supposed to be in school?" I ask, knowing Darry won't be so happy about this.

When Pony doesn't answer, Steve steps in behind me.
"I bet the little twerp is ditching." He scoffs.

I glare at Steve, turning my attention back to Pony. I was getting worried about his lack of personality. It's like he was hardly here.

"I- Was..."

"Ponyboy, are you alright?" I ask, walking towards him.

He didn't answer. His eyes were growing droopier by the second. "Pony-"

It all happened so fast. He was falling like lead onto the ground. Steve and I both lunged forward, I was successful in grabbing him. I held him towards my chest as I pushed the hair out of his face resting a hand on his forehead. He's burning hot.

Did he have a fever?

"Steve," I shout frantically "Go call Darry. Pony has a fever."

With that, Steve took off into the gas station store to call.

Darry POV
____

I was busy workin' when I heard my manager call me over. At first, I didn't think much of it until I heard what he had to say.

"I got a call from Steve Randle." My manager says with a gruff expression.

I sigh loudly, wondering what sort of prank him and Soda played in my workplace. Immediately I started apologizing for the behavior.