Just a scratch

READ THIS FIRST THE MOMENT YOU ALL HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR!!!! THE UPDATE

IM SO SORRY. ITS BEEN LIKE??? A YEAR?? AT LEAST. truth is, I fell out of the outsider's fandom and just couldn't bring myself to write I guess:,( BUT HERE IT IS. IM DETERMINED TO FINISH THIS BOOK. I WILL DO IT. if you see me slacking just...SPAM ME AND TELL ME TO UPDATE. OKAY. here goes nothing. Prolly isn't the best chapter but YOLO.

I headed off to the bathroom, feeling the familiar warm sticky red substance run down my lip.

Lordy, you bet I walked so fast I was almost gliding.

Some days I wish I could just stay outta trouble. Darry is always bugging me about it. I know its true. Ever since Johnny- No.

It's just been different. They all treat me like I'm a fragile piece of glass just waiting to shatter. I know it may come as a surprise..but I'm a lot tougher than my gang thinks. Just because I'm the youngest, and I'm a little different doesn't make me weak.

I ran into the bathroom down the hall, pushing past a few greasy boys who were hanging out smoking a joint. They all gave me funny looks as I pushed past them, but I needed a paper towel before blood dripped down my white shirt.

I was in the process of cleaning up my nose when I heard someone walk in.

"There's the little scum."

Socs.

I froze, looking down at my converse, holding the towel to my nose.

"I knew you were a chicken, but you ran like a little girl."

The three were getting closer, but I was trying not to look at them.

"He looks a little sick."

"I think he would look a lot better with a hair cut."

I don't know what fueled it. But I ran. And I'm fast too! I pushed past them, running down the hallway, through my other classmates who screamed profanities at me as I whizzed past. I didn't look back. I could hear the thundering footsteps of the socs behind me, but I wasn't paying much attention. I ran out the back door and circled back around to the front of the school. The socs were still on my tail, with the tallest one in the lead. they were still pretty far behind me, but they were catching up.

I know where to go.

"The little brat is fast." I heard one scream.

"I can't run for much longer, Kyle."

I smiled to myself as I pumped my arms, my legs falling in the suit. They can't catch me!

I ran down the street, and across a long, greenfield to the familiar gas station. The DX. The socs must have fallen behind, and quit. I'd run at least a mile without stopping in a full sprint. They must have gotten tired and stopped.

I was dizzy, and I was getting short of breath. Turns out, it's bad to run when you're feeling under the weather. Nothing a few Advils couldn't fix.

I slowed my running as I came to an (exhausting) halt in the empty parking lot of the DX. 

Soda and Steve stood, messing around. They didn't look like they had customers or anything. Business seemed slow.

I was safe now.

My lungs were trying desperately pullin air as I ran my hands through my hair trying to ground myself. My head was spinning, and my legs felt like JELL-O. Maybe the fever I was sporting early hadn't left. I could run for miles and not be winded at all-?

As soon as Soda saw me, he was walking towards me with a smile on his face. I was trying to focus on him, and that movie star smile, but my mind was foggy and I couldn't see anything. "Hey, Ponyboy." Soda said brightly. "Did you run here? Why aren't you in school."

"The little twerp is ditching I bet." Steve snarled, angrily. Soda threw him an unkind look, Steve rolled his eyes in response.

I tried my best to throw a glare at him, but I was still hunched down, hands on my knees.

"I was-" Spinning. Lots of spinning. Focus.

"Pony, are you alright?" Sodas gentle voice sounded more underwater, even though he was right next to me. I felt funny. Light, almost.

" I-"

I was losing my balance now. My brain screamed to catch myself, but I was too tired. Soda acted fast, my body started to crumble as he reached over and caught me gently in his arms, holding me to his chest. He smelled of aftershave and gas.

"Pony?" He called out to me, but I could hardly hear. He felt so far away.

"Steve! Steve! Call Darry, now!" Soda yelled frantically. "He's burning up."

My unconsciousness was welcomed as I closed my eyes, sinking into Soda. I heard voices as it all faded out.

SHORT CHAPTER, BUT THE NEXT ONE IS MY FAVORITE...HOLD ON TIGHT AND THANK YOU SM FOR READING YALL.