He's right. Me and my family down in Louisiana had put up with so much because of our skin color. And this is no different. But Alex is right. We're trying to lie low. And all standing up for that girl will do is stir up unneeded trouble.

Time skip

Oobleck: Prior to the Faunus Rights Revolution, more popularly known as the Faunus war, humankind was quite adamant  about centralizing Faunus population in Menagerie.

We're sitting in Profe- Dr. Oobleck's history class learning about the war that took place on this world a while ago. Hehe. This world has no clue how lucky it is. It has one, I repeat, one war, and everyone is at peace. Meanwhile, war seems to be a constant thing in Earth's history.

Oobleck: Now, while this may seem like history to many of you, it is imperative to remember that these are relatively recent events. Why the repercussions of the uprising can still be seen to this day. Now, have any among you been subjugated or discriminated because of your Faunus heritage?

The girl who Cardin bullied at lunch raises her hand. And so does a random student behind us. Oobleck takes a sip of his coffee.

Oobleck: Dreadful. Simply dreadful. Remember, students, it is precisely this kind of ignorance that breeds violence. I mean- I mean- I mean, just look at what happened to the White Fang! Now, which one of you young scholars can tell me what many theorists believe to be the turning point of the war?

Weiss raises her hand.

Weiss: The battle of Fort Castle.
Oobleck: Precisely! And, who can tell me the advantage the Faunus had over General Lagoo's forces?

Jaune suddenly yelps from his nap, prompting Dr. Oobleck to call upon him.

Oobleck: Mister Arc! Finally contributing to class, I see! What is the answer?
Jaune: Uh! The... answer... the advantage of the Faunus... had over that guy's stuff...

He has no clue.

Jaune: Uh, b-binoculars!

The class starts laughing, however Dr. Oobleck does not seem amused.

Oobleck: Very funny, Mr. Arc.

He takes note of Cardin's laughter.

Oobleck: Cardin, perhaps you would care to share your thoughts on the subject?
Cardin: Well, I know it's a lot easier to train an animal than a soldier.
Dick: Ya wanna run that by me again?

We may not be soldiers, but given what Cardin is implying, we both take offense to the statement. Semper Fi. Still, Richard needs to calm down.

Me: Easy, Richard. He's just not the brightest bulb in the box, is all.
Cardin: What?! You got a problem?!
Me: Even better, I have the answer. Night vision. Many Faunus are known to have nearly perfect sight in the dark.
Blake: General Lagoo was inexperienced and made the mistake of trying to ambush the Faunus in their sleep. His massive army was outmatched, and the general was captured. Perhaps if he had paid attention in class, he wouldn't be remembered as such a failure.

Cardin gets up from his seat to threaten Blake, but is stopped by Dr. Oobleck.

Oobleck: Mr. Winchester, please take your seat.

Jaune snickers at Cardin's embarrassment.

Oobleck: You and Mr. Arc can both see me after class for additional readings. Now, moving on!

Time skip
Third Person POV

Jaune and Pyrrha stand on the roof of the dormitory building where Pyrrha said she would help him. He looks over the edge of the building.

Jaune: Pyrrha, I know I'm going through a hard time right now, but I'm not that depressed.
Pyrrha: No!!!

She moves him away from the ledge.

Pyrrha: That's not why I brought you up here. Jaune, I know you're having a rough time in class. And your still not the strongest of fighters, so... I wanna help you!
Jaune: What?
Pyrrha: We can train here after class where no one can bother us!
Jaune: You think I need help?
Pyrrha: N-no! No, that's not what I meant.
Jaune: But you just said it.
Pyrrha: Jaune, everybody needs a little push from time to time. It doesn't make you any different from the rest of us. You made it to Beacon, that speaks volumes about what you're capable of!

Jaune turns around and faces the view of Beacon tower.

Jaune: You're wrong. I don't belong here.
Pyrrha: That's a terrible thing to say, of course you belong here.
Jaune: No, I don't!

He hesitates for a moment before speaking again.

Jaune: I wasn't really accepted into Beacon.
Pyrrha: What do you mean?
Jaune: I mean I didn't go to combat school, I didn't pass any tests, I didn't earn my spot at this academy! I... I lied! I got my hands on some fake transcripts, and I lied.
Pyrrha: What? But... why?
Jaune: Because this is what I've always wanted to be! My father, my grandfather, and his fathers before him were all warriors! Heroes! I wanted to be one too. I was just never good enough.
Pyrrha: Let me help you.
Jaune: I don't want help! I don't want to be the damsel in distress! I want to be the Hero! I am tired of being the lovable idiot stuck in the tree while his friends fight for their lives! Don't you understand?! If I can't do well on my own, then what good am I?!

She tries to put a comforting hand on his arm, but he pulls away.

Jaune: Just leave me alone.
Pyrrha: If that's how you really feel...

She walks through the door and leaves the roof, leaving Jaune alone. Then Cardin climbs to the roof.

Cardin: Oh, Jaune.
Jaune: C-Cardin?!
Cardin: I couldn't help but overhear you two from my bedroom. So, you snuck into Beacon, huh? I gotta say, Jaune, I never expected you to be such a rebel.
Jaune: Please, Cardin, please don't tell anyone!
Cardin: Jaune, come on! I'd never rat out a friend like that.
Jaune: Uh... a friend?

Cardin walks over to Jaune and puts him in a headlock.

Cardin: Of course. We're friends, now, Jauney-boy. And the way I see it, as long as you're there for me when I need you, we'll be friends for a long time.

He lets go of Jaune and lets him fall to the ground.

Cardin: That being said, I really don't have time to do those extra readings Dr. Oobleck assigned us today. Think you could take care of that for me, buddy?

Jaune doesn't respond due to him catching his breath from the headlock.

Cardin: That's what I thought.

He climbs down to his dorm room through the window. He stops halfway.

Cardin: Don't worry, Jaune. Your secret's safe with me.

Then he climbs back down to his room.