The Boardwalk

Seriously Nicky. "Hope you don't ask for gas money" How awkward could you get? I glance over at him as he drives. Who knew someone could look attractive while driving. I quickly look away and internally cringe. Did that thought seriously just come into my mind??

"We're here."

Shit, what are we doing again. Oh right.

"Great!"

Plaster on that fake smile and say something you idiot.

"Where should we go first?"

"Let's just walk." I hop out of the car and he comes up beside me.

Now I know what your thinking. Oh, the Santa Cruz Boardwalk? Yep. We didn't live in Santa Cruz though. We lived in one of the smaller towns surrounding it. It wasn't a long drive to the boardwalk. But it wasn't something you could do every other weekend so I jumped on any chance to go. And this sucker just took me the whole way there.

It was around 5ish in the afternoon so the sun was starting to set. They were keeping the boardwalk open later on account of the extended weekend. The sun looked gorgeous in the distance, it filled the sky with pinks and oranges.

"Nicky!!"

I jumped a little. How long did I zone out for?

"Hmm"

"Let's go on that" he points to the Giant Dipper (Google it) and my heart skips a beat.

"Uh, I don't know..."

"Come on pleaseeeeeee" he gives me a puppy dog look and pulls me toward the roller coaster.

"Fine..."

As we wait in line I begin to fidget and bounce nervously on heels of my feet.

"What's wrong?" He asks with a concerned look after we've been strapped in.

"Oh nothing" Crap my voice cracked,

"It's just I'm deathly afraid of roller coasters." I nervously laugh as my hand locks onto the handrail. "No biggie"

"Hey you'll be fine," he rests his hand on top of mine "and afterwards, I'll win you a giant stuffed teddy bear" he finishes in a patronizing voice as he pinches my cheek.

I could just smack him.

"Oh really! How exciting! After this you can you teach me how to ride without training wheels." I say sarcastically as the car begins to move. He laughs at me and we slowly get higher.

As we get closer to the top of the first hill I look down behind and quietly whimper.

"Why did I agree to this."

"Because you couldn't say no to me and my dashing good looks." Oh he's cocky too

"Pfft whatever."

We get to the top and he gives my hand a little squeeze before we race down. Shit. Shit. Shit. I start off screaming my head off but then I start to laugh and before I know it I'm joining in with the other riders shouts of joy.

"See now was that so bad."

I was bubbly now from the adrenaline rush so I was practically skipping as I walked with him.

"Nope, it was actually really fun."

"Yeah so no-" he's cut off by a loud girls squeal.

"Oh my GOSH!!! Jason hey"

I know that voice. It's Madison. She's a cheerleader at our high school and puts on a 'sweet little face' around people then rips it off as soon as they leave to talk behind their back. And she was known to have a very obvious crush on Jason. Annoyingly obvious.

She bounded up to him and gave him a really tight hug, shoving her boobs against him.

"Oh hey, Nicole." She comes up to me and rubs my arm, looking at me like a puppy she found on the street.

"How are you feeling?" She says in a patronizing tone.

"Great, much better thank you for asking," I say through my teeth. But she was already focused back on him.

"So Jason everyone's going to Luke's party tomorrow night, you should reaaaaalllly come!" He glances over at me, she notices his eye movement and puts on another smile.

"You can bring her if you want" she eyes me up and down with a small glare.

"Oh great. I'll definitely try to be there." Jason nods and she lets out another squeal, causing my whole body cringe.

"Fantabulous I'll see you soon!!" She gives him a wink and bounds off to her group of friends and they head over to the exit. Who the fuck says fantabulous?

"Listen Nicky we don't have to go..."

"No, I think we should. It'll be fun and I need a pick me up." Really I'd just love to make her more mad by showing up with him. Who knows, it might actually be fun.

"Whatever you say."
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

I was really enjoying having her this close to me all the time. After I broke her shell, she started to have real conversations with me. I knew she thought I was full of it, but I was determined to prove her wrong. I kinda hoped she would've told me she didn't wanna go to the party. I thought Madison was annoying, and Luke hangs out with a lot of bad people. But I wasn't gonna tell her no.

I made her promise me that she would let me know when she wants to go home. I wasn't worried about her as much as I was worried about Luke. He's had his eyes on Nicky for a while now, swearing that he would 'conquer' her. But he was joking. Or at least I hope he was.

I stayed by Nicky's side as we made our way through through the crowds of people. I could tell she enjoyed the fresh air, and she seemed to be less on edge.

My phone buzzed and I saw it was work calling.

"Nicky"

Her head turned towards me "yeah?"

"I gotta call I'm gonna go take it then I'll be back ok?"

"Yeah sure whatever." I could tell she was getting tired. I'd probably take her home after this. I smiled at the thought that she felt safe around me. It was almost a dream come true that she felt that way.

I sighed and answered, wanting to get the call over fast so I could get back to her.