Chapter 1

NARRATOR'S POV:
~~~~~~~~
The girl falls to the floor of the orphanage, out of breath, her heart racing after what just happened. 'What did I just do?' she thinks in fear and horror, curling up into a ball with her knees pressed to her chest. 'Why can't I control it? Why do I have to be-' her thoughts are interrupted by the door bursting open. "What is that racket?" her despicable caretaker asks, just before she sees the marks on the floor.

Looking around further, the room is littered with broken belongings that the child has failed to hide soon enough. And when her gaze focuses on the girl, she notices the scratches on her arms and face. Her eyes widen in fear as she backs up, face paling. Her eyes flicker from outside the window to the child huddling under it. But when seeing the girl's terror, she relaxes slightly, face filling with disgust instead.

"You freak," she growls, spitting on the floor. "Get out." The child scrambles across the floor, running away from the hateful woman behind her. When she opens the door to exit the wretched place, a foot comes into collision with her back, sending (y/n) tumbling down the stairs and to the ground.

The woman slams the door shut, leaving the young orphan in the cool night with nothing but the clothes on her back.

YOUR POV:
~~~~~~~~
I whimper slightly, clutching my scraped cheek. Another month, another orphanage. There's only one left. With quivering legs and tensed muscles, I slowly walk to the building. It's miles away. For all I know, I've moved less than one. I'm so tired. So cold. In so much pain, and I can't do anything about it. My feet drag on the ground, and I trip, falling forward. As I hit the ground, I curl up into a ball, tears wetting my cheeks. I can't. I can't go any further. My body shakes with sobs as I give up, laying on the ground and not wanting to move again.

But as my eyes close, something moves into my vision. A figure with fiery red hair.

"Hey, kid," a motherly voice says, but I can't answer. "It's alright, honey, you're okay." Her words of comfort soothe me as my eyelids feel even heavier. I feel my body leave the ground, arms supporting my back and legs as I'm picked up.

And with that, my eyes finally close.