Chapter 22: Baby Come Back

Start from the beginning

"Yes, yes, so sad about them," Amelia says dismissively, and he narrows his eyes at nothing in particular. "But you were a part of it, and that's exactly what we need. Selma's hiding near an ERF equipment store, the one you called the perfume factory."

His eyes shine with recognition as he nods. "Oh, yeah, because it stunk of manure."

"Yes, you'll go across the border using a single favor I have with the border official. So you'll be getting in the easy way, and the ERF equipment will help you get out the hard way."

"Sounds just like the good days." He grins.

"Right then. That's decided. But you have to be quick. All key Ministry staff have to clock in regularly, and they'll soon know she's gone. Jaime, Five, head west, then south, across the border to Anstice. Go!"

We turn and head west, keeping at a good pace. Anstice isn't too far away, but we can't burn out before we get there. This is a risk, getting someone out of a territory allied with the Ministry, not only for this women but for me and Jaime too. Sigrid knows I have Moonchild Syndrome, even though she, as far as we know, isn't sure I'm the 'alpha' she's looking for. If I'm caught, they'd take me and do the same horrible tests on me as they did to those people that were in the prison-turned-pub-turned-prison again.

This is a risk for Jaime since he's the ruler of this country. He was nearly executed a few months ago.

All in all, this is a huge risk, and for us to be taking it, this woman must have some extremely valuable information. But to get it we have to get her out safely. We can't fail her like we did Sweatpea. I just pray no Pit Viper has gotten word of this, of her, of us.

We keep running, my hair wiping back and forth as I do so, my bangs getting in my eyes slightly. I push up my headband, which only helps some. Better than nothing, I suppose.

The erratic sounds of our footsteps against the concrete roads mingle with the sounds of harsh breathing. Sam, Nicole and Amelia stay quiet. Sam may be a talker but he's made it very clear how he feels for both Nicole and Amelia. Even now he's told me how he still can't fully get over the fact that Nicole was the one who took away my voice. I don't know if he'll ever one-hundred percent forgive her.

Nicole doesn't enjoy pointless conversation, and Amelia seems to want to keep us as in the dark about this as much as possible. She has yet to tell us why this woman is important, which worries me. What information could she have that makes this something we have to do now? Why is it such a big lead to the baby factory?

I want to believe that this woman and Amelia are telling the truth, but we've chased leads many times before and then were disappointed turned out to be nothing at all. I understand that there is and will always be times where we have to take the risk to find out whether or not we can gain an advantage from something, but constantly risking our lives and safety only to turn up emptyhanded is rather annoying.

I may be immortal, but as far as I know I could still turn and then just become an immortal zombie, and Jaime isn't immortal at all. I want to be sure this isn't just another dud.

I'm so tired of duds.

I can see the checkpoint up ahead. There's a guard there, his dark green eyes following us as we move closer. My hand inches towards my gun in its holster as his back straightens. I only stop my movements when he nods ever so slightly, his face never changing. We run past him, and I let out the breath I'd been holding, only to cringe when I breathe in again and smell a slight stench that I know will only get stronger as we head further into the deserted town.

"Ah, there it is," Jaime says, "past the market square." His eyes hold a small bit of joy at the familiarity. "The perfume factory. Haven't seen it in years."