Appendix - About The Locations

I just wanted to add this short appendix about the locations where Stargirl of the Edge is set (excluding London, which everyone knows about!) I hope that if people have enjoyed the story, they will wish to come and visit the region and maybe choose to study here. I love my home region of North West England and want to showcase it to a world audience.

----------------------------

ALDERLEY EDGE
Alderley Edge is a long, narrow tree-covered sandstone hill located in Cheshire, twelve miles (20km) south of Manchester and 153 miles (250km) north west of London. Its myths and legends give it a mystical atmosphere. Over many centuries, mining was carried on here, particularly for tin and copper.  Malachite is the most common mineral found here. Molybdenum is also present. Inside the Edge there are many tunnels and caverns, although they are not normally open to visitors. Alderley Edge is a popular place for people to go for walks, especially with their dogs, and to enjoy the woods and the magnificent views over the surrounding landscape. It is owned and maintained by the National Trust.  Alderley Edge is also the name of the affluent village and residential district located to the north and west.

CHESHIRE
Cheshire is a county in North West England. Its northern boundary merges with the southern fringes of the two great conurbations of Manchester and Liverpool. To the east, Cheshire extends into the Pennine hills. To the west it is bordered by North Wales and the Irish Sea. Cheshire is famous for its beautiful landscapes and rich farmland producing dairy products such as milk and cheese. There are many beautiful gardens and historic mansions, many of which are open to the public. Lewis Carroll, author of Alice in Wonderland was born in the county. Jodrell Bank Observatory, part of Manchester University, is a world famous centre for astronomical and scientific research. The dish of the radio telescope is visible for miles around. Cheshire is regarded as a very desirable place to live, and has some of the wealthiest residential areas outside London, home to footballers and TV stars.

MANCHESTER
The city and conurbation of Manchester form the biggest metropolis in Northern England. Manchester city centre is nearly 200 miles (320km) by road or rail from London. Known in the past as a city of smoke and factories, today it is a centre for finance, education, medicine, the digital industries and transport, particularly its railways, trams and its international airport, situated 13 miles to the south. Manchester and the nine boroughs surrounding it together form Greater Manchester. It is a multicultural city with a large Chinese community centred on the Chinatown Manchester with its Chinese arch, constructed in 1984. Students from all over the UK and Europe, as well as Hong Kong, mainland China and other parts of the world come to study at its universities. Despite modern development, Manchester city centre retains some fine buildings, including four historic and architecturally significant libraries. Manchester’s twin city in China is Wuhan.

LIVERPOOL
The port city and urban region of Liverpool is famous for its splendid waterfront and magnificent architecture, including two cathedrals. It is situated on the River Mersey around 210 miles (340km) north west of London. Also known as Merseyside, the urban area consists of the City of Liverpool and four other boroughs. Liverpool has the longest established Chinese community in Europe, dating from the mid nineteenth century. They are centred around the Chinatown district in the city centre, with its magnificent Chinese arch, the largest of its kind outside China. Liverpool is famous for popular culture and music, especially the Beatles. In 2002 the airport was named Liverpool John Lennon Airport. The history and heritage of the local area are celebrated at the Museum of Liverpool on the waterfront. The Spaceport is a museum about space travel located just across the Mersey from Liverpool and is accessible using the famous Mersey Ferry.

--------------------------

This final section was uploaded at 6.30pm, Sunday the thirtieth of November 2014, four years and eight months since I first got the idea for the story. Read Secrets of Stargirl of the Edge to find out about the background to the project. It's been a long journey but the journey will continue always. Beidh an turas ar aghaidh go deo.