Ch 15 - Rebirth

This chapter documents the second encounter between Olivia and Esther in the woods on Alderley Edge. Re-reading the manuscript I feel there is an element of synaesthesia, the interplay between the different senses, something I experience all the time. When I see lights flashing I hear sounds. Colours have the effect of tones, smells have physical properties, it's a fascinating subject. 

And so it was February 22, the day of the new moon. She knew that from checking the app on her iPhone. It also told her the time of sunset. It was 5.22pm. 

She had taken the jeep to school that day and drove home at the usual time.  She realised there would not be much time to get up the Edge and park the jeep to get to the meeting point. She told her mum she would take Jessie for a walk and then drive round to her friend Millie’s house to get a copy of the handout that had the homework task. 

She had decided she would take the pendant with her to show to Esther. It would be safe, after all, she was only going up to the Edge and would come straight back again. What could possibly happen?

And then she remembered, there was something she had forgotten.

“Oh, Mum…”  

Liz was getting clothes out of the washing machine.

“Yes, darling?”

“Is there a rose anywhere?”

“A rose? Not in the garden, they’re not in bloom dear, It’s February. There are a few dried up ones. You could have a look in the greenhouse,” said Liz, staring into her eyes. “What do you need it for?” 

“Oh,” said Olivia, looking away, “it’s for… my Science project, well, Millie needs one… for her Biology project.”

Liz stared for a few seconds at Olivia.

“Take a look in the greenhouse.”

“Oh, okay,” said Olivia, moving towards the door but trying not to make her impatience too obvious. Jessie looked up at her with hopeful eyes. 

“Wait a minute, Jessie.”

The dog stepped out of her basket and started to wag her tail.

In the greenhouse she looked in various pots and under dusty shelves, asking herself why she hadn’t thought of finding it before now. But she could have asked herself the same question countless times before, when she had left things till the last minute.

Eventually she found a withered rose, its dried up petals were brown and some had fallen off. She picked it up, being careful not to break it. That was the best she could do. She got Jessie and the lead from the kitchen, ran to the jeep, they climbed in and set off for the Edge.

A few minutes later they arrived at the lay-by on top of the Edge. Jessie jumped out, Olivia slammed the door shut and led her past the ‘To The Edge’ sign, along the straight footpath and off to the left and into the woods. She let Jessie run free and she walked ahed, sniffing the tree trunks and looking around.

The air was cold, and there was steam from Olivia’s breath. The weather was dull and cloudy.

Soon they arrived at the clearing and Olivia sat down on the fallen tree trunk, with Jessie at her side. The dog sat looking up at Olivia with her sunny smile, mouth open.

The woodland was empty, a couple of sparrows twittered, there was the sound of small animals and birds moving through the leaves. Otherwise, the scene was deserted.

She closed her eyes, and with her hand on Jessie’s neck, she concentrated her thoughts and with all her heart and mind, she willed Esther to appear.